Home Forums SYSTEM Polarization Switch

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Dear All

I would like to design a (polarization switch) which can switch the polarization of the source between (45 and 90 degrees) at data rate of 625 Mb/s as shown in the attached figure. I find the system is not working probably. Can you give me an advice to modify the system in order to perform the required function or suggest me another design of Polarization Switch?

Regards

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Jaffar,

Here is an alternate approach to this application. We have used an ideal phase modulator to bring the different polarization components in and out of phase to produce the 45-90 polarization angle change you are interested in.

Let me know if this helps.

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Dear Damian,

Thank you for responding, but unfortunately when I downloaded the file and trying to open it in OPTISYSTEM this message appears ( Failed to load document from storage), I am using OPTISYSTEM 12.0

Regards

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

I think we use different version of OPTISYSTEM thus the file you sent me does not work. Can you send me the image of the designed system please?

Regards

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Dear Damian

Thank you for help. I have questions about your design:

1- Do you mean PC1 and PC2 are set to 90 and 45? if so, if we want to switch the polarization between another two angles say (0,90), are we set PC1 and PC2 0 and 90?

2- Can we replace PSK generator with RZ pulse generator because in OPTISYSTEM 12.0 the output of PSK is M-ray data and cannot connected directly to PM?

Thanks

Damian Marek
        Participant

Yes, exactly. You can switch between any two polarization states by changing the controllers

Philip Weetman
      Participant

Hi Jaffar,

You should be able to use the NRZ generator instead, but your optical output won’t look as good! There was an issue with the rise and fall times of the NRZ pulse generator, which generally does not effect things but here is noticeable. It has been fixed, and will be in the soon to be released update. So at this point I’d recommend staying with the PSK generator. You could write a small MatLab or Scilab component that will convert the M-ary signal to electrical. Or maybe the easiest solution is to upgrade to the latest 12.2.1?

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Thank you Philip Weetman

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.