Home Forums SYSTEM photo detector sensetivity

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      mohammed hosni
      Participant

please i need your help my friends to calculate the photodetector sensitivity by using the parameters in pin or APD Ooptisystem component such as thermal noise is 1e-22 w/hz

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi mohammad hosni,

for this you require to create a simple design to to calculate the photodetector sensitivity,in optisystem as:

laser source(with or with out modulationdepending on your requirement)—–>detector(PIN or APD)

there after you require to set the parameters like power of laser,thermal noise,etc as require by you.and simulate.

with regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello mohammad,
      The sensitivity of a receiver can be calculated if one knows the following performance parameters: the noise figure (NF), the ENBW, and the carrier to noise ratio (C/N) required to achieve the desired quality signal.
      The sensitivity is as follows:

Sensitivity=10×log10(kTB)+NF+C⁄N

This equation defines the signal power in dB·Watts that is present at the demodulator for a desired carrier to noise ratio. Let’s explain each of the terms in this equation. Hope it is helpful.

Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

I would also like to say that the resulting noise is in Joules/Second or Watts. To convert the noise power to dB·Watts, use 10 times the log of the noise power in watts. If we look at the normalized (B = 1 Hz bandwidth) noise floor equation, we have:

Noisefloor=10×log10(k×T×B)

I am posting a link. You can please refer to it.
      http://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=553:receiver-sensitivity-and-equivalent-noise-bandwidth&catid=94:2014-06-june-articles&Itemid=189

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi mohammed hosni

aabid baba has solved your problem your large extend, how so ever you will have encountered them equation before post your query in forum.

if you have perticular problem related to how to do it in the optisystem.you can upload your .osd file or screen shot here for further discussion

mohammed hosni
      Participant

but mr aabid baba the parameters you have mentioned doesn’t exit in pin photo detector component layout

alistu
      Participant

Hi Mohammed,

Please have a look at Damian’s answer to more or less the same question asked by me a while ago. There is also a file from OptiSystem old lab assignments which you may find useful if the answer itself is not explicit enough (even though I believe it to be):

CO-OFDM Architecture

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi mohammed hosni,
      i think links contains all what you need for receiver sensitiviy evaluation in optisystem,

Extracting the Thermal Noise Parameter for a Specific Receiver Sensitivity

Receiver Noise—PIN

Receiver Noise—Shot Noise Enhancement with APD

Sensitivity degradation—Extinction ratio

with regards

mohammed hosni
      Participant

dr Alistu THE link is unavilable

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi mohammed hosni,

i checked the links for you they are available,
      if you still have the problem in visiting the links, i suggest you to search receiver sensivity in optiwave search engine, you will get them all there

with regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

alistu’s link is also available

mohammed hosni
      Participant

there is link inside the alistu’s link is unavialable

alistu
        Participant

You are right. The old lessons are deleted apparently. However, the new set of lab assignments has also the receiver sensitivity lesson. Please download instructions file of lesson six (receiver sensitivity) in the link addressed below:

OptiSystem Lab Assignments

Regards

mohammed hosni
      Participant

how to use the parameter thermal noise is 1e-22 w/hz in sensetivity calculation

alistu
        Participant

In the paper I have addressed above, receiver bandwidth and thermal noise spectral density are considered to calculate the rms thermal noise current, another parameter needed to calculate sensitivity along with photodiode responsivity. Please ask any questions you may find in case.

Regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      http://depts.washington.edu/mictech/optics/me557/detector.pdf

We have to know various parameters like responsivity, noise figure and diode currents.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.