Home Forums SYSTEM Phase Modulation using Mach Zahnder

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

How can i use mach zahnder modulator for phase modulation in Optisystem.??
      “(I know MZM works like “The input waveguide is split up into two waveguide arms. If a voltage is applied across one of the arms, a phase shift is induced for the wave passing through that arm. When the two arms are recombined, the phase difference between the two waves is converted to an amplitude modulation). But can i use it for phase modulation??

Damian Marek
      Participant

Yes you can. If you apply the same voltage to both arms both optical signals will accumulate a phase shift proportional to the applied voltage. If the voltage varies in time you will have a phase modulated signal.

dear damian thanks for the reply. can i please get a optisys file explaining varying voltage that will cause phase modulation. i’ll be very thankful. or just tell me how can i do this??

Attached is my project file.

muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear Baloch
      PM occurs automatically in optisys when you apply a PRBS through NRZ/RZ coding to a MZM where the Phase of the carrier CW can be varied.Alternatively XPM is HNLF is another option where you can control degree of phase modulation with input signals power

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.