Home Forums GENERAL parallel polarisation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Leeba Babu
      Participant

How to set up signals with parallel polarisation using polarisation controller. what are the values to be set for azimuth and ellipticity?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Leeba,

Parallel polarization means they have the same polarization orientation (Am I right?). If it is so, I believe you can simply use the same azimuth and ellipticity parameters for the signals you want to set the same polarization for, and the polarizations are completely set according to them.

Regards

Damian Marek
      Participant

Do you mean the terms “s” and “p”, where s stands for perpendicular to plane of incidence and p is parallel to plane of incidence? In OptiSystem, the electric field is always polarized either in the X or y directions or a combination of them. Therefore, the light is considered as TE or “s” polarized. You cannot define a parallel polarized beam in OptiSystem, partly because it does not simulate wave optics. However, to give you an idea an azimuth of 0 degrees is x polarized light and an azimuth of 90 degrees is y polarized light, since the x axis is defined as the horizontal axis and the y axis is defined as the vertical axis. There are other possible combinations as well for example 45 degrees would be x and y polarized equally.

Leeba Babu
      Participant

Thank you alistu and damian for your reply. What I need is to set two signals with parallel polarisation to analyse its effect in four wave mixing. Then compare its effect when they are orthogonally polarised.
      What happens if i set 0 degrees for both azimuth and ellipticity for both polarisation controllers. There will be no effect ,isnt it?
      so if i set 45 degree and 0 degree for azimuth and ellipticity, respectively, for both signals, will not they be parallel polarised?

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

From Damian’s explanation, I think you should use for azimuth 0 degrees for parallel, and 90 degrees for perpendicular. Ellipticity mut instead be set to 0 in all cases.

Leeba Babu
      Participant

Ok thanks Alessandro.

Leeba Babu
      Participant

Also how to measure the Four wave mixing crosstalk level from an optical spectrum. Is there any equation ? i have attached the image of the spectrum from which i have to measure it. In that paper it is said that the crosstalk level is -19.45. Can some one help me out with this, to how to calculate it.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.