Home Forums SYSTEM Overall Min BER and Max Q-factor

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello all..

I am actually designing a four channel basic wdm system and no doubt i am able to calculate the min ber and max quality factor of each receiver on the reception side.. Here i would like to ask if it possible to calculate the overall min ber and max quality factor of the whole system . Please can you tell me if there is some procedure or method to do so.. i want to calculate the overall quality factor and overall Ber of the system..
      Thanking you in advance.

with Regards
      jyoti sharma

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi Jyoti Raina, You can find the overall BER by using the BER test set component, it consider all the bit stream that is transmitted to the receiver side. The BER analyzer calculates the Bit error rate using various algorithm such as Gaussian and Chi-Squared and derive different metrics from the eye diagram, such as Q factor, eye opening, eye closure, extinction ratio, eye height, jitter, etc.
      on the other hand the BER test set considers each bit transmitted and you can have a more accurate average Bit error rate for the system you designed.

Regards,
      Dhiman

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Dhiman Sir..
      Thank you very much for replying.. Can you please guide me how to do this or share any link or any simulation file where i can get some idea how it is done..
      Please help me in this i would be very grateful to you.. Thank again

With regards
      Jyoti Sharma

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hello Jyoti,
      first of all I would suggest you to go through the various samples that are provided by OptiSystem experts along with Optisystem installation. try to modify the designs and watch the result in this way you going to learn a lot. 2ndly, try to understand the working of each component by clicking help at component properties.

Regarding BER analyzer you will get many example in the sample folder, i am attaching here with a sample for BER test set.

Regards,
      Dhiman

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Dhiman sir..Thanks a lot lot for your concern and help..

I will try to see if i can get an idea how to calculate the overall minimum bit error rate BER and max quality factor.. But can you please tell me how i will be able to know what algorithm or what formula they use to calculate this average min BEr and maz quality factor..i will be thankful to you..

With regards
      jyoti raina

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hello Jyoti Raina,
      I already mentioned that BER analyzer uses algorithm for the calculation of Q-factor and Min BER, for more details about algorithm and formula please go through pdf “Optisystem components library” page no. 134-138. There everything is explained in theoretical as well as in mathematical form. you will find the Optisystem components library pdf at the installation directory. Hope this will definitely help.

regards,
      Dhiman

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Dhiman sir..
      Thank you so much for your reply.. I appreciate you for giving some time..
      Actually i tried looking for the pdf you are talking about but i am not able to find that anywhere..
      Can you please share the link of that pdf or if it is lying with you can you please upload it.. That Way it will be more convenient to me..
      I hope you will help me in this.. Thanking you in advance.

With regards
      Jyoti raina

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Jyoti, please try to find as following:

Start/all apps/ optiwave software/ components library

Thats all you need, I think it is not available in Optisystem 14 as it is a evaluation version.

I am currently using optisystem 13.

Regards,
        Dhiman

Remo De Suza
          Participant

Hello Jyoti.
          I feel it is a very important question you have asked about. Certainly there arises a need when you may have to calculate or determine the overall system performance ( which may either include bit error rate or the quality factor). So i think it will be worth to know how can we do that. I hope the suggestions provided by Dhiman may help.

With Regards
          Remo

jyoti raina
          Spectator

Hello Remo Sir..

I am yet to check that but i think it may be the solution to my problem..i Hope it works for me..Anywayz i appreciate your kind efforts.
          with regards
          Jyoti

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi Jyoti Did you get the components pdf, It is very much helpful in designing with OptiSystem.

Regards,
      Dhiman

jyoti raina
        Spectator

Hello Dhiman sir.. I do not have it installed on my own laptop.. I shall check it in the lab tomorrow and see if there is optiwave pdf present.. Thank you so much for your help..i appreciate that.

With Regards
        Jyoti Sharma

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello Jyoti,

Infact a very nice question put forward by you… I think Dhiman has given you very valid suggestions to go through the various samples that are provided by OptiSystem experts along with Optisystem installation.. Also try to understand the working of each component by clicking help at component properties… I hope this will help you a lot..

Regards,
      Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
        Spectator

Thank you Sahil sir..
        I surely will check it and i hope it helps me in a good way.

With Regards
        Jyoti

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello Jyoti Raina,

Thanks for your reply and you are welcome… I am sure it will be of great help to you.. All the best

Regards
      Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hi Sahil Sir..

Thank you for your concern..i Appreciate.

With regards
      jyoti

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi Jyoti Raina,

You can find the overall BER by using the BER test set component, it consider all the bit stream that is transmitted to the receiver side. The BER analyzer calculates the Bit error rate using various algorithm such as Gaussian and Chi-Squared and derive different metrics from the eye diagram, such as Q factor, eye opening, eye closure, extinction ratio, eye height, jitter, etc.
      on the other hand the BER test set considers each bit transmitted and you can have a more accurate average Bit error rate for the system you designed.

Regards

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hello Jyoti,

Infact a very nice question put forward by you… I think Dhiman has given you very valid suggestions to go through the various samples that are provided by OptiSystem experts along with Optisystem installation.. Also try to understand the working of each component by clicking help at component properties… I hope this will help you a lot..

Regards

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.