Home Forums GENERAL Optisystem system requirements

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Fady
      Participant

Regarding the system requirements to run Optisystem, I have few questions:
      -Does having a GPU card supporting CUDA speed up the simulation?
      -Is there a big difference if I use an i5 or i7 process and does having a larger RAM (8 GB) will speed the simulation?

Thank you,
      Fady

Tech Support
      Participant

Yes, the GPU will speed up the simulation of fiber propagation calculations (these use the split step Fourier method and involves the frequent use of FFTs -> the FFT calculations are parallelized in the GPU)

The i7 will slightly speed up the overall calculations as a large number of double precision calculations are continuously run by the software. A faster clock speed will always helps for these types of sequential calculations. The RAM allocation will not directly increase the speed of calculations however it will ensure the stability of the software when large data calculations are performed. Large data sets can result in freezing of processes (due to memory issues) and may force the SW to shut down. A RAM allocation of >8 GB RAM will greatly help in this regard.

Fady
      Participant

Thanks a lot for your reply. Does CUDA supported GPU required or any GPU will do the job.
      Thanks again for your help.
      Fady

Tech Support
      Participant

It needs to be an NVIDIA CUDA-based GPU card.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.