Home Forums GENERAL OptiSystem 14.0 backward compatibility

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..

Can anyone of you tell me if Optisystem 14.0 is backward compatible. Can we not open .osd files of lower version with the latest version of Optiwave? I am not able to do so.

Regards.

Gokul Boro .
      Participant

Hi Naazira,
      I remember a .osd file from Optisystem 13 that I could open in v14. But I don’t know if the design in older versions work in newer version or not.
      Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi naazira

so far as licensed version are considered , i guess there should be compatibility.
      i was also using optiwave 13 and my all .osd files designed in that, and you know that new version optiwave 14 is latest version.

and i have no problem in opening and simulating myn osd files in optiwave 14
      with regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi naazira,
      I would like to know that the file you are trying to open is from which version?
      I have also come across many incidences when i was not able to open .osd files from Optisystem version 7 on Optisystem version 13. About version 14 i don’t know because mostly it works fine with older version files.
      Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all.. Thank for replying.

Aabid.. I am trying open the files posted on this link:

log-normal channel in FSO

Few of these must be from version 7 as mentioned.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi,
      Well. I tried to open the file but it shows an error message “command cannot be sent”. So i believe it has to do with compatibility.
      I suggest you to open these on optisystem 7 if available.
      Thanks
      Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Okay Aabid.

I’ll try that.

Regards.

alistu
      Participant

Hi Naazira,

i remember Bryan once mentioning in a topic that OptiSystem versions are backward compatible. So the new version is supposed to act accordingly. As for opening files created by OptiSystem 7, I have managed to open some posted in forums by version 14, so if one certain file cannot be opened, there must be something wrong with the file. And I suggest you contact Optiwave if such a thing happened.

Regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

hi alistu,
        Well i would like to mention that this problem does appear in many cases. You rightly said some .osd files from the forum which are being implemented in Optisystem version 7 are easily accessible while some do not open. But if you try them opening the same .osd files on Optisystem 7 , there they work fine. So i guess there is issue with the updated tool which sometimes does not allow us to open the files.

Regards

alistu
          Participant

I agree, and that is exactly why I suggested telling Optiwave about this after making sure that the aforementioned file does not certainly open with OptiSystem version 14 while it can be accessed through version 7 or any older version, as this is not supposed to happen and solving it helps promote software in future.

Regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

I agree with you Alistu , True that. At first place it shouldn’t have been a problem but now it does exist in some cases it is good to bring it to their notice so in future we don’t face a problem in accessing a sample file or any osd file from older versions of Optisystem.

regards

alistu
          Participant

Indeed! And Optiwave team have always welcomed such suggestions and such points haveing been brought to attention by members as far as I can remember.

Regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Well..lets hope for the best!
          Thanks anyway
          cheers

Naazira Badar
      Participant

hi all..
      Thanks for your responses.
      Well yeah, OptiSystem support should be contacted for this because this acts as a setback at times.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

you are welcome naazira.

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi Naazira Ma’m
      Optisyatem 14.0 has backward compatibility, i am able to open the osd file which i designed in its 13.0 version and also 12.0 version.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello ranjeet,
        I would like to mention we do sometimes (not always) come across this issue. There are osd files simulated in optisystem 7 and optisystem 10 that are not accessible in the latest version optisystem 14. It could be because of multiple reasons as mentioned in above comments. Although not necessarily all the time.
        Thanks and regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Ranjeet.
      Thanks for your response. But apparently the .osd files created on lower versions like 7.0 can’t be opened with Optisystem 14.0.

Regards.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.