Home Forums GENERAL Optimization algorithm used by OptiSystem

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please tell me which type of optimization algorithm is used by OptiSystem software in the attached lesson? Is it some genetic algorithm? or a different optimization technique?
      If anyone knows please tell me. I will be really grateful.

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Hafiz,
      The lesson talks about how it is possible to design an optimal gain flattening filter in OptiSystem for optical amplifier. Users will enter the required final gain flatness (let us say 1dB gain flattening) across the required operating wavelength range. The software looks into the gain curve obtained at specific signal input power and design the gain flattening filter for that set gain flattening value. There is no genetic algorithm used in the GFF design feature.
      regards,
      Ahmad

Dear Sir, Thanks for your reply.
      In that lesson, I don’t see that any gain flattening filter component is used?
      They compared the results with reference [2], in which an automatic design scheme is discussed. Did the software used that Optimization technique?

Ahmad Atieh

I am sorry, I thought you are interested in gain flattening filters. For the example shown in the tutorial (RA Optimizing pump power and frequencies – Average model.osd) a Multi-parameter multi-target optimization process (MPO) is used. This is based on nonlinear least-squares implementation. Details on the optimization process is described on page 191 in the User Reference document. You may find this document in the attached documents with OptiSystem software.
      regards,
      Ahmad

Ok got it. One more question:
      The optimization process based on nonlinear least square implementation as in the attached lesson is same as Optimization process based on genetic algorithm implementation? That is, achieving minimum gain ripple using nonlinear least square Optimization is same as achieving minimum gain ripple using genetic algorithm?
      Your cooperation in this regard will be really helpful for me.
      Regards
      Obaid

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Hafiz,
      Please contact me at ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com to discuss further.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.