Home Forums GENERAL OPTICAL SENSORS

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      umer ashraf wani
      Participant

Dear research fellows Is there any option where we can design/analyse different optical sensors? Valid arguments are highly appreciated.
      regard
      Umer ashraf

deepak jha
      Participant

Hello Umer Ashraf Wani,

What do you mean by valid arguments?

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi umer ashraf wani,
      Which type of optical sensors do you want to design?
      And for what purpose you want to design?
      Please elaborate your design aim and applications.
      As far as i know i don’t design optical sensors in optisystem.
      But i think optiwave would provide an option to design optical sensors.
      As in case of optical sensors, fibers have many uses in remote sensing.
      Depending on the application, fiber may be used because of its small size.
      by sensing the time delay as light passes along the fiber through each sensor.
      Time delay can be determined using a device such as an optical time-domain reflectometer.
      So, we have to know the applications too.

Thanks

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Umer,
      As far as i know we can design optical sensors in Optisystem making the use of fiber bragg grating. I would suggest you to refer to the link where there has been briefly explained how we can make use of gratings to ensure design of an optical sensor.

Sensors

I hope this would give you some idea about how we do it here. And yes what kind of sensor you want to implement ? temperature or pressure sensor or for that matter any other sensor?
      Regards

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

i am trying to design an optical sensor for measuring the atmosphere humidity so that i may evaluate the performance of FSO for a defined environment. your take please

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Umer,
      Thank you for sharing it. Well i am not sure about how to design it but surely i know that Fiber Bragg gratings are used to design temperature as well as pressure sensors. I think humidity sensor will be just extension of temperature sensor. Try going through the link i just provided it gives you brief idea about designing a simple sensor. I suppose you may have to use MATLAB for doing it though i am not sure but in my opinion MATLAB is going to play some role for the design of the sensor you are desiring for. I hope it would help you to some extent. Thanking you.

Regards

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

Will give it a try thanks a lot

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Sure. You are welcome.
      All the best i hope you succeed.

Regards

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Umer,
      First we should know about advantages of optical sensors to mechanical sensors.
      What is significance of its use and also its application.
      Fiber-optic sensing is an excellent solution to transmission loss and susceptibility to electromagnetic interference (noise).
      a fiber-optic sensor works by modulating one or more properties of a propagating light wave,
      including intensity, phase, polarization, and frequency, in response to the environmental
      parameter being measured. Extrinsic (hybrid) optical sensors use the fiber only as a
      mechanism to transmit light to and from a sensing element, while intrinsic optical sensors
      use the optical fiber itself as the sensing element.
      At the core of optical sensing technology is the optical fiber – a thin strand of glass that transmits light within its core.

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Umer,
      As Aabid sir discussed about FBG sensors.
      I want to share some information about FBG sensors, which is One of the most commonly used and broadly deployed optical sensors,
      which reflects a wavelength of light that shifts in response to variations in temperature and/or strain.
      FBGs are constructed by using holographic interference or a phase mask to expose a short length of
      photosensitive fiber to a periodic distribution of light intensity. The refractive index of the fiber
      is permanently altered according to the intensity of light it is exposed to. The resulting periodic
      variation in the refractive index is called a fiber Bragg grating.

When a broad-spectrum light beam is sent to an FBG, reflections from each segment of
      alternating refractive index interfere constructively only for a specific wavelength of light,
      called the Bragg wavelength. It has various advantages like FBG strain gages are
      available with a variety of form factors and mounting options including epoxy, weldable, bolt-on, and embedded.

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      Now the most important point is benefits of FBG Optical Sensing :
      These are are nonconductive, electrically passive, and immune to EMI-induced noise.
      No/ little loss in signal integrity on interaction with a high-power tunable laser enables measurements over long distances.

Unlike electrical sensing systems, each optical channel can measure dozens of FBG sensors,
      greatly reducing the size, weight, and complexity of the measurement system.

Optical sensing is ideal for applications electrical sensors such as foil strain gages, thermocouples, and vibrating wires have proven ineffective or tough to use due to difficult environmental conditions and/or long distances.

Thanks,
      Rajguru

Karan Ahuja
        Spectator

Hi Umer

I want to share how sensor profile is set.To define Sensor characteristics:
        1.Select Grating from the Parameters menu, or simply select the Grating icon
        on the left.
        2.In the Grating Manager dialog box, double-click the selected grating to open the Grating Definition dialog box.
        3.In the Grating Definition dialog box, enable the Sensors check box.
        4. Click the Define button beneath the Sensors check box.
        5.In the Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor dialog box, in the Temperature section, select Linear from the list box.
        6.Make sure the value in the From box is set to the default value, 0 degreeCelsius.
        7.Make sure the value in the To box is set to the default value, 50 degreeCelsius.
        8.Click the OK button to close the Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor dialog box, click the OK button to close the Grating Definition dialog box, and click the OK button to close the Grating Manager.
        9.Select the Profile tab from the window.
        10.Click the Calculate button.
        11.The spectrum for the specified temperature distribution will be calculated.

You may refer to this link for further study https://optiwave.com/resources/applications-resources/optical-grating-sensors/

Sensors

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

thanks a lot

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

You are most welcome umer ashraf wani.
      I will keep trying to post valuable information .

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

yes keep it up!
      This is known as professionalism

Hello Umer,

As far as optical sensors are concerned i seem to agree with Aabid Baba. Surely we can design optical sensors in Optisystem making the use of fiber bragg grating. I would suggest you to refer to the link provided by Aabid Baba. It nicely & briefly explained how we can make use of gratings to ensure design of an optical sensor.

Sensors

I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Burhan

Hello.

As mentioned by other forum members that we can design optical sensors in Optisystem making the use of fiber bragg grating. I would suggest you to refer to the link provided by Aabid Baba.
      FBG sensors, which is one of the most commonly used and broadly deployed optical sensors,which reflects a wavelength of light that shifts in response to variations in temperature and/or strain. FBGs are constructed by using holographic interference or a phase mask to expose a short length of photosensitive fiber to a periodic distribution of light intensity. The refractive index of the fiber is permanently altered according to the intensity of light it is exposed to. The resulting periodic variation in the refractive index is called a fiber Bragg grating. When a broad-spectrum light beam is sent to an FBG, reflections from eachWhenent of alternating refractive index interfere constructively only for a specificalternatingof light called the Bragg wavelength.It nicely & briefly explained how we can make use of gratings to ensure design of an optical sensor.

Sensors

Thanks
      Regards

sorry for the duplicate comment.
      I apologise.

Thanks
      Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello everyone,
      Thank you for sharing such information. I appreciate your efforts. It is indeed very very helpful.
      I have a query regarding these sensors. Do we have a mechanism by which we can design Bio sensors in optisystem. No doubt we are able to design optical sensors here but can we somehow translate the optical sensors into bio sensors. I would be glad if someone knows about it. Thanking you.
      Regards

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.