Home Forums GENERAL Optical fibre

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      koll
      Participant

Signal Degradation in optic fiber are caused by noise,attenuation and dispersion?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Koll,

Yes! And also by the nonlinear effects. When the optical power injected into the optical fiber is high, these effects show a considerable effect. You might have heard of self-phase modulation (SPM), cross-phase modulation (XPM) and the four-wave mixing (FWM) as some examples of nonlinear effects.

Regards

koll
      Participant

Hi Alistu but from the link here I googled.

why they only mentioned attenuation and dispersion?

alistu
      Participant

On the second page from the file you have uploaded, it can be seen that the transmission effects are divided into two categories, one being nonlinear effects. And the three examples I have mentioned are also among the nonlinear effects. I don’t know why it has not been mentioned on the first page, but on the second page those two factors are also mentioned.

koll
      Participant

So noise are consider as non linear effect?

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

Noise is usually considered a linear effect (eg: ASE from optical amplifiers). Anyway, there are propagation models where the noise itself incorporates both linear and nonlinear effect, like the GN-model.

alistu
      Participant

I believe both nonlinear effects and the dispersion effect (which may degrade signal by causing inter-symbol interference) can be considered as noise in the transmission line. I don’t know if in the above lecture the nonlinear effects have been considered as the noise factor in the optical fiber.

gaganpreet Kaur
      Participant

i would like to add non-linear effects become significant at high powers which are required for long distance transmission. also in case of multi-channel systems as the channel spacing id reduced non-linear effects cannot be ignored. rather for WDM systems XPM and FWM non-linear effects are most deteriorating. SPM( Single Phase modulation) is significant for single channel systems only.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.