Home Forums SYSTEM Optical Fiber

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Shahid
      Participant

When we use the Optical Fiber/Bi-directional OF from the component library. Its Main Tab indicates that User defined reference wavelength is checked/selected and the Reference Wavelength is shown as 1550nm.
      For what wavelengths this selection will work?
      Lets say im using wavelength in the O-band (1280-1320nm), then using this Reference wavelength OK?
      If not what value should I Choose?
      Thanks

alistu
      Participant

Hi Shahid,

You can check the box and then define the center wavelength of your wavelength interval as the reference wavelength. You can also uncheck the box and let the software choose the center wavelength of your signal as the reference wavelength automatically. In SMF fiber the wavelength limit of the fiber was determined in “Numerical” tab, but here for bidirectional fiber, the limits exisit in “Graphs” tab only to draw graphs. I don’t know if they have anything to do with the fiber calculation limits.

Regards

Shahid
      Participant

Thanks Ali for your reply. Even if I specify a different wavelength the dispersion value in the dispersion tab is still the same.
      Do we also need to change the dispersion value there?
      Where can i view the Plot of “Graphs”?

alistu
        Participant

When you change the reference wavelength, the parameters that have formerly been set for the former reference wavelength are applied to the new reference wavelength. It doesn’t mean that their value changes, it simply means that the value now belongs to the new reference wavelength.

Regards

Shahid
      Participant

If the same dispersion value is associated with the new reference wavelength then will it result in same dispersion penalty for the new wavelength also or there will be some difference?

alistu
        Participant

I don’t know if other components in the optical system would have the same behavior in the new wavelength in terms of the dispersion, but the fiber is supposed to have the same behavior in the new reference wavelength. Otherwise, it somehow negates defining a “reference” wavelength for the fiber.

Shahid
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Ali.
      After enabling the option of “Calculate Graphs”. Where could I view the Plot of “Graphs”?

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome Shahid. You would be able to see the related graphs in the “project browser”. You can click on the project browser button above the page, choose it from the menu bar or simply press ctrl+2 to see project browser. There, you can choose bidirectional fiber and in the Graphs section, the graphs can be chosen.

Regards,
        Alistu

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.