Home Forums SYSTEM Optical Fiber – Attenuation

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sasha
      Participant

Hi All,

I tried to implement an system design power budget with optical fiber. My transmitter input power = -3.218dbm and optical fiber length = 1km, attenuation = 2.61dm/km and I am getting total power output as -7.614dbm. It shows total power loss = 4.396dbm but in link I am having a loss of only 2.61db.

In optiwave sample files they have shown the system design power budget file by using attenuator and they are getting exact output.

Here I attached the file.

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
      Sasha
      Participant

Optiwave system design power budget file

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Hi Sasha
      The optisystem sample file that you have attached is providing results to me in required manner.In file the attenuater is set to 27dB and overall power after attenuation is -30.010.Transmitter laser power is 0dB and after MZM comes out to be -3.010dB due to insertion losses and all.
      I have tried by deleting attenuator and inserted a SMF of same attenuation i.e 27dB .I got the same results with fiber and attenuation.Value at BER is also same order of 10^-9
      Try it as i said and if there is than any problem let me know
      Thank you

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Since i am using a older version of optisystem so could not able to upload the system file.However as i stated above by taking value of attenuation 0.2dB/Km (default in optical fiber lib. component SMF) you can test it.
      Kindly see the screen shot of the system ,i have calculated the value of fiber as
      135Km x 0.2dB=27dB
      Which corresponds to the attenuation value at attenuator

Attachments:
      MHD NA
      Participant

Hi Sasha;
      you have some mistakes in calculation the required length of fiber, so you should modify its length and observe the output power to reach to wanted value which is corresponding to fiber length.

Regards,

Abhishek Shrama
      Participant

Hi! Mohammad namera,I think this would be the case that author didnt get desired power at output.Since it works fine for me without any issue.Thank you for your help
      I just did basic calculation and got desired results

Sasha
      Participant

Hi Sharma,

when using the SMF, I got the attenuation output as -30db.Actually I want to get the output for multimode fiber. And when I am giving the same attenuation and length for MMF fiber and I am getting total output power = -33.4db. What is the change should I do in MMF fiber?

Thanks in advance

Sasha
      Participant

Hi Mohammed,

I tried as you said for MMF fiber and SMF fiber. It worked for SMF fiber but not for MMF fiber. What is the change should I do in MMF fiber?

I fixed the values as
      Source power = -3.148db
      attenuation = 0.2db/km
      length = 135km
      then I should get the total power output = -30.148db
      but instead of that i am getting total power output = -33.426db

I attached the file here.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
        alistu
        Participant

Unfortunately, I don’t know the exact reason for the attenuation caused by the fiber to be more more than the attenuation value given and I couldn’t find a reason from the help section. But I am guessing maybe the 0.2 dB/km attenuation is for the center wavelength (or frequency), and as the frequency changes, the attenuation exceeds the defined value.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.