Home Forums GENERAL Optical coupler

Optical coupler

Profile Photo
(joined August 2015)
Participant

How to set a 98/5 coupler in optisystem . In optical coupler component there is a parameter ‘coupling coefficient’. What value is to be set for coupling coefficient in order to get a 98/5 coupler? I have attached the image of circuit which uses such a coupler.Please someone help me out with this.

Attachments:

Responses (7):

    • #26225
      Profile Photo
      Leeba Babu
      Participant

      How to set a 98/5 coupler in optisystem . In optical coupler component there is a parameter ‘coupling coefficient’. What value is to be set for coupling coefficient in order to get a 98/5 coupler? I have attached the image of circuit which uses such a coupler.Please someone help me out with this.

      Attachments:
    • #26227
      Profile Photo
      alistu
      Participant

      Hi Leeba,

      In order to divide the power with the exact ratio depicted in your attached image (95/5), you can set the “coupling coefficient” efficiency of the optical coupler as 0.05 (by doing which, the upper output gets 5% of the input power, while the lower output gets the rest 95% of it). For any other ratio, you should act accordingly.

      Regards

    • #26229
      Profile Photo
      Leeba Babu
      Participant

      Thanks a lot Alistu. And am sorry for the ratio, i wrote it mistakenly as 98/5..Its 95/5 as what u said.Thanks foe the help.

    • #26232
      Profile Photo
      Leeba Babu
      Participant

      But when measuring the power at the output ports of coupler , the power reading is not 95 and 5%..

      Attachments:
      • #26238
        Profile Photo
        alistu
        Participant

        Please connect an optical null to the lower input of the optical coupler and only use one CW laser to the upper input port in order for the suggested setting to work. When the two lasers are used (as shown in your snapshot), even for the coupling coefficient of 0.5 the power is not equally divided.

    • #26242
      Profile Photo
      Leeba Babu
      Participant

      ya ok.I did see that.. So what value of coupling coefficient should be set in order to split it as 95/5? In my work i am using two input ports of coupler as shown in the first image.

      • #26243
        Profile Photo
        alistu
        Participant

        In the case of two inputs, the coefficient refers to the power that goes from each input to the other output (please see the attached file) and I don’t think this is what you intend to do. If actually this is what you want, you can simply set the coefficient as 0.05 (which means 5% of the first input goes to the second output and 5% of the second input goes to the first output).

    • #50641
      Profile Photo
      Sivaranjani B
      Participant

      According to the below attachment,what is the value of coupling coefficient to be set in 95/5 coupler and 5/95 coupler?

      Attachments:

LoginYou must be logged in to reply to this topic.