Home Forums GENERAL Number of Modes in standard laser sources?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Aadil Raza
      Participant

I just want to know that how can one calculate the exact number of modes in standard laser sources? I am working on MMF channel and want to transmit only a known value of modes in MMF. please help me out.

Damian Marek
      Participant

It depends on if you mean longitudinal modes or transverse modes. Depending on the laser cavity (like fabry perot for example) there are different longitunidal or frequency modes that exist.

Also using modal analysis you could determine the spatial transverse modes at those frequencies by modal analysis. OptiMODE would be a useful tool in this regards.

Damian

Ravil
      Participant

Hi aadilqau,

Damian brought very important points about the nature of excited modes and their dependence on the laser cavity. I just want to confirm for myself: are you looking for number of modes that you can excite in your source or the number of modes that you can transmit through the medium after their excitation?

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi aadilqau, since you are talking of MM fiber, I suppose you are referring to transverse modes of the laser. When you say “standard” laser sources, do you mean commercial lasers or standard in OptiWave software?

Aadil Raza
      Participant

I am interested in knowing the number of transversal mode in commercially available laser sources used for mmf communication

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

In this case your question is more to be answered by the vendor of your laser sources…for example, MM SFPs usually do not report in the datasheet the number of transverse mode.

Aadil Raza
      Participant

Thanks for reply. For simulation in optisystem, If I want to transmit only 10 transversal modes in a mmf channel then which parameters do I need to change? Whether this change will be in laser source parameters or in mmf parameters?

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

I do not think that there is a component where you can easily set the number of transverse modes, you probably need to create you own laser transmitter and set its spatial parameters in order to have 10 modes as you desired.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.