Home Forums BPM Novel LED lamp design using waveguides

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Nisa Khan
      Participant

Hello Optical Waveguide Simulation Community:

As many of you, I used to work on waveguide devices for photonics and optoelectronics. Then I diverged – only to come back, and this time around found unique applications for optical waveguides in lighting. You can check out my work laid out in my LED and lighting engineering textbook, “Understanding LED Illumination” (CRC Press, 2013). Hope at least some of you will find this exciting as well as useful since LEDs are making notable strides in the lighting market and thus changing our day to day lives. Stay tuned for my recent work on LED lamp design to be published soon.

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Hello

Is there any relation between your book and optiwave products? Please state it , you should contribute with ideas no marketing yourself

Cheers

Luis

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

what is new in your book that we do not know?

Any ideas to develop something new for optiwave engineers?

Nisa Khan
      Participant

Hello Luis,

Guilty as charged that you find my post is self-marketing. I didn’t intend it that way and just wanted to give an introduction first. In my book, “Understanding LED Illumination”, I used OptiBPM to model light out of LEDs via waveguides to show evenly dispersed light distribution. There are many new ideas that involve waveguides and lightpipes to manipulate light from LEDs for various applications in lighting and display. I could talk about this more later in the year as this is quite new and still unpublished. But you may look at Chapter 6 of my book to get some basic ideas.

Cheers!

Nisa

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

hello Nisa

Thanks for your explanation. You could star to introduce the books as you have done in your reply.
      I see that you have used OptiBPM , which led a very good results. I afraid I can not buy the book, therefore i can not read chapter 6. Also we do not have it in the library. prob you can send me the chapter to read.

best Regards

Luis

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Hello Nisa

Here is my email, in case that you would like to send me Chapter 6. I will be happy to read it.

la47@hw.ac.uk

Cheers

Luis

Nisa Khan
      Participant

Hello Luis,

The eBook is only $56 USD and you can buy from amazon.co.uk
      You can also ask your affiliation to buy the eBook or the Hardback and you can take turns in reading it. It could be a very worthwhile investment for many. To read about the book, you may go to:

I think Amazon UK has a similar site with similar information. I hope this is not too much marketing. I can’t get around without giving the forum such information. The end benefit is that people will learn how waveguides can be useful for LED lighting and machine vision. I am hoping these would end up being really exciting fields for optical waveguide experts and OptiBPM users.

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

hello Nisa

Thanks a lot for the link , the book is no expensive. The library can buy it, but i have just claimed one in optical FDTD and they will not accept two claims in the same time.

Anyway I am expert in LED design , i have design and manufactured optical encoders and different type of lights . From Laser diodes to LEDs. Hahaha. I was curious 🙂

Best Regards

luis

Nisa Khan
      Participant

Regular LEDs produce a Lambertian light distribution that is not suited for general-purpose lamp. Although many secondary optical design techniques are considered to achieve diffused light from LEDs amenable for general-purpose lamp, a low-loss, efficient design will be difficult to obtain without employing some guided-wave structures. It is nevertheless an interesting and challenging problem.

vignes
      Participant

Dear nish,

This is vigneswaran from India, may I get any simple design in regards of LED using optibpm to initiate my work

Nisa Khan
      Participant

Hello Vigneswaran,

You could start with what I have in my book in Chapter 6.

Regards,

Nisa Khan

vignes
      Participant

Dear nisha.

Shall I get the chapter 6 as a PDF fr me

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.