Home Forums GENERAL New Discussions vs Recent Discussions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Alessandro Festa
      Participant

I have to say that I find this forum very useful to exchange information with other OptiWave users and in the last months I have learned many things (and hope I have helped someone!), but there is one thing I find very annoying.
      When a new topic is started, it goes into “New Discussions” but, until a first answer is given, does not show up into “Recent Discussions” and it might happen that it remains unasnwered because nobody sees it…or the OP re-writes the same post many times because he thinks it was not taken by the server.
      Did anybody else find this behaviour annoying?

Thanks for all your answers!

Alessandro

alistu
      Participant

Hi Alessandro,

I also find the forums quite useful to build up one’s information about Optiwave softwares. However, I remember having the same problem until two months after being an active fopum member. Nevertheless, I believe this problem can easily be solved by highlighting the options box (where the discussion type should be chosen) in a way, since I think not realizing the function of that box causes what you mentioned to happen.

Regards

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi Alitsu, thank you for expressing your opinion on this!
      I agree that the “issue” can be easily bypassed by clicking on New Discussions in the top of the page, but this is not very user friendly especially for new users…let’s see if somebody from Optiwave replies to my post.

Regards,

Alessandro

alistu
        Participant

I realize this is not user friendly and totally agree with you. I mentioned a personal experience about this issue. What I suggested was that the choices should be more obvious so that new members would easily find them. Otherwise, older members know where to look to find the new discussions in the forums page.

Regards

Damian Marek
        Participant

We have talked about this but we decided that keeping New Discussions and Recent Discussions separate. Otherwise, if many new discussions are made they would fill up the Recent Discussions filter and make it difficult to actually see the most recent replies.

It also helps to separate out topics depending on whether you want to simply answer questions or read the most active discussions.

Alessandro Festa
          Participant

Hi Damian,

thanks for your quick reply! I now understand why you made that separation.

Best Regards,

Alessandro

alistu
          Participant

Thank you Damian for having taken this into consideration. I also understand why the separation of discussions is done in the current way. It is just that in the box where the discussion type is to be chosen, there is a triangle implying there are other options. It can be misleading and some may think it is merely pointing to the topics below. Of course, this never happens to experienced members, but we see from time to time new members who seem confused.

Of course, changing it requires experts to find a more efficient way if actually there is any, but I find this point worth mentioning now that such comments are being paid attention to.

Regards

gaganpreet Kaur
      Participant

Hi alessandro even i find it frustrating at times. becAUSE MANY OF THE QUESTIONS POSTED REMAIN UNANSWERED. ANOTHER PROBLEM I FEEL IS , AS NEW USERS KEEP ADDING SAME DISCUSSION KEEPS SURFACING. SO I THInk we should have some mechanism that when a new post subject is being added the previous similar existing forum topics should come so that new user might get relevant information already existing on the forum . That would surely same on time and help see all information available on one topic which would be a gr8 help.

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

Hi Gaganpreet, I agree with you and this is why I originally posted my question…
        I noted that if a post remains unanswered for a couple of days, it will not get any chance to be answered anymore.

From Damian response it seems they will not change this, maybe it would just be good to make it clearer that the selection between New and Recent Discussion is important in the main page!

Best Regards,

Alessandro

gaganpreet Kaur
      Participant

Yes Alessandro you r right, they won’t change it but it really becomes frustrating at times. anyways till things change we should benefit from the good part of the forum atleast this is one authentic, public platform of learning. i have personally learnt so many things. i has given me more knowledge and better confidence to use optisystem.

Regards\

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.