Home Forums GENERAL Need Help (Optiwave)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am doing research in optical communication. I want to work on parameters

1) polarization mode dispersion (PMD) parameter
      2) nonlinear phase shift
      3) optical signal-to-noise ratio (OSNR)
      4) modulation index
      5) phase noise due to the Kerr effect

My question is which optiwave software gives privilege to work on these parameters?
      Thanks!

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Muhammad,

I am not exactly sure what privilege you are looking for. It really depends on the exact application you want to implement in your research. In general, optical signal-to-noise ratio (OSNR) is directly related to system design and serves as its main characteristic, therefore OptiSystem will be your best choice for that. For a nonlinear phase shift and a modulation index I’d recommend to consider OptiBPM and OptiFDTD. According to nonlinear phase shift, I’d refer to OptiSystem if you are designing the system, otherwise FDTD should be your choice.

Dr Rk Sethi
      Participant

Hi Muhammad Mansoor Ashraf,
      you are doing research in optical communication and you want to work on parameters, polarization mode dispersion (PMD) parameter, nonlinear phase shift, optical signal-to-noise ratio (OSNR), modulation index, phase noise due to the Kerr effect etc.
      It seem you wish to optimize optical communication systems w.r.t these parameters. in my opinion Optisystem is the BEST for this application. If you are starting from the scratch my suggestion is to go through the sample files first, then design your own system.
      Regards.

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi, I also think that Optisystem is the best choice for you based on your needs.

Heitor Galvao
      Participant

Optisytem.

If you have more information about polarization would you please share? many thanks

Dr Rk Sethi
      Participant

Mohammadmahdi Aariannejad Hi,

The fundamental properties of the fiber are that they have some degree of birefringence and have the core that is not exactly circular over the entire length. Consequently the signals transmitted get split into two perpendicular polarization modes. These different polarizations arrive at the receiver with different delays.

Polarization mode dispersion occurs due to birefringence along the length of the fiber that causes different polarization modes to travel at different speeds which will lead to rotation of polarization orientation along the fiber.

Though normally much smaller than Group Velocity Dispersion effects, this Polarization Mode Dispersion effect can become a major link design concern in Group Velocity Dispersion compensated systems operating at bit rates of 10 Gbps and higher.

For more detail you can refer:
      “G.P. Agrawal, “Fiber Optic Communication Systems”, second edition , John Wiley @ Sons, Inc., 1997.”

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.