Home Forums BPM Modes in the waveguide with high delta n

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      John
      Participant

Hi everybody! basic question: model test structure – very wide waveguide with high delta n. Standard cladding n_clad=1.48. OptiMode_Solver finds modes for the core index up to n_core=1.7. However, somehow it does not find mode for n_core=1.8 or higher (same structure). What do I miss?
      Thanks!
      John

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi John,

Can you attach the OptiMode file you are using? From a guess I would say you might need to increase the mesh resolution if the field is strongly confined to the core.

Regards

John
      Participant

Hi Damian,

File is attached. I did try to increase mesh resolution – no help at all… It finds modes in 2D but not in 3D. everything is OK if n<=1.7

Best!

John

Attachments:
      John
      Participant

Hi Damian,
      Any insights?
      John

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hey John,

I can’t say exactly why your file was not working, it gave me a memory warning when I tried to run it! I rebuilt it in both OptiMode and OptiBPM and it works fine. Attached is the BPM file, if you don’t have the same version I would say just try rebuilding the file from scratch. I only needed a mesh of 200×200 to find modes in the n = 1.8 case.

Regards

Ravil
      Participant

Hi John,

As I can understand, you are using OptiBPM. Did you model your experiment somewhere else?

John
      Participant

Hi Ravil,
      I am working on a more complex model for FDTD for propagation studies in high contrast waveguides.
      John

Ravil
      Participant

Hi John,
      Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of experience with FDTD, but I’ve got the same results as Damian

I think I have the same problem, I was suspicious about my computer because windows 8.1 some of the times this error will happened

mohammed mostafa
      Participant

I haven’t alot of experience with FDTD , i think if you attach the project it may be better

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.