Home Forums SYSTEM Modeling ASE noise in Optical Amplifier.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

Dear All,
      Dear Damain,
      If I have an EDFA with noise figure F = 6dB.The noise is added to the Amplified signal Envelope.How optisystem model the effect of Amplified Spontneous Emission (ASE) noise on the amplified signal Envelope.
      Particularly,How can I model the noise envelope that added to the signal due to ASE noise during the amplification using an EDFA with noise figure = 6dB?
      Hope your support.
      Regards,
      Abdallah Ismail

Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

Please Note I read the help attached with the component and didn’t find exactly how can i calculate it.

Damian Marek
      Participant

You could use the WDM analyzer before and after the EDFA to calculate the noise figure. Noise would the difference in the SNR before and after the amplifier.

The noise figure itself depends on a number of parameters for a real erbium doped fiber as well as on the input signal. If you don’t have the parameters for the EDFA that would give a noise figure of 6 dB in might be a little tricky without ding a bit of trial and error. However, we do have a component “Optical Amplifier” which you can explicitly set the Noise figure to whichever value you want.

Regards

Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

Thanks Damian For your response,but You may not get my point.
      I need to calculate the noise optical field samples corresponding to Noise figure = 6 dB. to add it to the sampled signal.
      I didn’t need to calculate noise figure.

Damian Marek
        Participant

OK, I’m still a little confused because Noise figure is not just a property of the noise signal, it is the ratio of the input signal to noise ratio and the output signal to noise ratio, which also depends on the gain of an amplifier. I think I understand where you are going with this. You want to add the noisy sampled signal to get around the problem with the spatial modes and noise bins.

Let me know if I am understanding this correctly and I will try to get a working project file, which will mimic the optical amplifier noise without the noise bins interfering.

Regards

Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

You get my point Damian.
      I need to model the noise in the matlab component and add it to the sampled signals in each spatial mode.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.