Home Forums KNOWLEDGE Mixing Optical Signals in Photodiode [Optical System]

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Question:

I would like to model a system that takes two lasers sources, separated by 50 GHz. Those two signals are then be mixed in a photodiode to create a radio frequency signal at 50 GHz. I know that there are tools in OptiSystem that can handle the optical side of the system, but are there components that can operate on the radio frequency signal as well?

Ravil
      Participant

Thanks for info, Damian!

K. Esakki Muthu
      Participant

i think it is possible using laser array, there u can set the no of CW laser and the spacing between them`

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Thanks Damian!

siva rama krishna
      Participant

Thanks Damian for giving information.

Damian Marek
      Participant

Answer:

In terms of handling RF signals, there are several tools available in OptiSystem that have been designed for this purpose. Under the Default master folder of the Component library, several folders contain both Optical and Electrical component groups. For example, the Visualizer Library contains Optical, Electrical and Binary components. Within the Electrical folder, you’ll find an RF Spectrum Analyzer, Oscilloscope, Electrical Power Meter, etc. As an example, I have enclosed a design file which makes use of an RF Spectrum Analyzer to view the 50 GHz RF signal you mentioned above. You’ll notice that the signal path between the Photodetector PIN and the RF Spectrum Analyzer is BLUE. All electrical signals (sampled in the time domain) in OptiSystem are represented using the BLUE color (when a signal is being visualized (not manipulated) the path is shown in a dotted line format).

We also have a large library of electrical components to manipulate and process RF signals, including the following functions:

• Default/Amplifiers Library/Electrical: Electrical amplifiers such as Transimpedance and AGC amplifiers
      • Default/Filters Library/Electrical: Electrical filters such as Bessel, RC, Butterworth, etc.
      • Default/Passives Library/Electrical: Splitters, Combiners, Phase shift Transmission lines (such as Coax), etc.
      • Default/Signal Processing Library/: Arithmetic and Logic functions for electrical signals
      • Default/Receivers Library/Demodulators: Electrical amplitude/phase demodulators, multiple threshold detectors, etc

We also have components for dealing with binary and multiple-level signals.

Attachments:
      Heitor Galvao
      Participant

Hello Damian is possible you get a print of the project “Dual_Laser” layout and tell the details of setting the same?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.