Home Forums GENERAL MFD of MMF

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Thomas Joseph
      Participant

Hi all,

How to calculate the mode field diameter (MFD) of fundamental mode and other modes of a multimode fiber. Is there is any equation. If it is , then can we use it both for step-index and Graded index fibers. What is the method to calculate MFD from the field itself?

Damian Marek
      Participant

You could use OptiFiber to calculate these values over a range of wavelengths quite easily. Generally the mode diameter is defined for Gaussian-like modes as the radius at which the intensity drops to 1/e^2 of the initial value.

Thomas Joseph
      Participant

Do you know the approximate range of MFD of the fundamental mode of SI-MMFand GI-MMF at 1500nm. I just want to check my answers

Damian Marek
      Participant

This completely depends on the fiber type and dimensions! But anywhere from 10-50 um might be a good guess?

Ravil
        Participant

Hi Damian,

I agree that mode field diameter depends on the type of fiber and its dimensions. However, did you really mean that in can go down to um or did you mean nm? Just checking…

Alessandro Festa
          Participant

Hi Ravil, 10nm would be really low considering that SMF-28 mode field diameter is 10um!

Damian Marek
          Participant

um as in “micrometer” 🙂 which is 10^-6 m. So yes, I think that is the general limit for optical fibers. I know that some tapered fibers that have high confinement can reach Aeff of 1 um^2 , which means that the radius is probably <1um but these are specialty fibers. Generally I think nanometer radius modes are quite uncommon.

Regards

Thomas Joseph
      Participant

Hi Ravil,

The mode filed diameter depends on fiber parameters and the operating wavelength. Usually it is just above the core diameter in the case of SMF, So the MFD is in the micrometer range. It can be find out using one equation (w/a)=0.65+(1.619/v^1.5)+(2.879/v^6). This equation may be valid to the fundamental mode of MMF.

My question is what is the MFD of the fundamental mode of OM2 fiber at 1300nm?

Damian Marek
        Participant

From my rough calculations I got around 37 um mode field radius for the fundamental mode. That makes an MFD of approximately 74 um.

Ravil
      Participant

Many thanks to everyone for explanations! Damian was right: I interpreted 10 um as 10^(-10) m which is quite low :). Thank you Alessandro for your quick answer! Thanks you Thomas for your explanation!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.