Home Forums SYSTEM Maximum Allowable Q-Factor for any system

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hi all..
      i want to know what is the maximum allowable quality factor for any system..i just went through a post where someone has mentioned that allowed quality factor is 6-9 which surprised me..i don’t if i interpreted it correctly..
      Please i need some clarification..

With Regards
      jyoti raina

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Also i want to ask what is the minimum allowable value for quality factor..for BER it is 10^(-9)..

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Jyoti in Electrical domain The minimum Q-factor allowable is 7 and Bit error rate is 10^-12.

Regards,
        Dhiman

jyoti raina
          Spectator

Hello dhiman sir..
          Thanks for your reply.. I think i must have misinterpreted the statement then.. I think it must have been the minimum allowable quality factor..I shall check it once more and see if it is the case..
          Also the minimum allowable bit error rate is 10^-9 to 10^-12.. Anywayz thank you so much..

With Regards
          Jyoti Raina

Atul Sharma
      Participant

Hello Jyoti Raina. Greetings from my side.

Here i would like to say that the maximum quality factor is application specific. There is one general rule that more the quality factor more better will be the performance. I presume that there is not any limit on the quality factor but yeah as you mentioned the minimum bit error rate is limited no system is good if its bit error rate is less than 10^-9. However no such limit on quality factor. I hope this would help you.

With Regards
      Atul Sharma

jyoti raina
        Spectator

Hi Atul Sir..
        Thank you for your reply..i appreciate.
        You are right..I think i must have misinterpreted the statement then.. I think it must have been the minimum allowable quality factor..As i mentioned I shall check it once more and see if it is the case..Thanking You.

with regards
        jyoti Raina

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello Jyoti Raina,

I agree with the point of view of Atul sharma here that the maximum quality factor is application specific…. It infact varies from application to application..It has been rightly pointed out in the previous comments that more the quality factor more better will be the performance of the design..The minimum allowable bit error rate in a system is typically in the range of 10^-9 to 10^-12. However there is no such limit on quality factor. I hope this would help you.

With Regards
      Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
        Spectator

Hi Sahil Singh..
        Thank you so much for your concern..
        I very much agree to his view.. it was very helpful indeed..

With regards
        jyoti regards

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Rather..
      thank you for the information..i appreciate your kind efforts..i was mistaken actually i had to write it as minimum allowable but i had written it as maximum allowable..
      As suggested by other members quality tends to increase and there shall not be any limit to it..i hope you will agree too..
      Thanks anywayz.

With regards
      Jyoti raina

jyoti raina
      Spectator

and yes you are right about the BER..itz minimum allowed value is 10^(-9)..

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hello Jyoti and Rather,
        I think you are by mistake saying minimum in place maximum because you will agree that minimum or lowest BER a system can posses is zero and for electrical domain the maximum allowable bit error rate is 10^-9.

Regards,
        Dhiman

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello Dhiman,

Your comment is a bit confusing… As per my knowledge the minimum allowable bit error rate in a system is typically in the range of 10^-9 to 10^-12 whereas you have mntioned it be zero and you have also mentioned that maximum allowable bit error rate is 10^-9…. Can you please elaborate a more on this…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
        Participant

Hi Sahil Singh,
        My meaning was by the term minimum BER what we understand is that is the lowest possible error, and for a system the minimum error is zero this means that there is none bit in error i.e. each bit is transmitted correctly.
        and one more thing i want to clear that for a min BER of 10^-09 there may be more than that value as the name suggests it is the minimum no. of error showing.
        You might have heard a saying “the strength of a bridge is determined by the strength of the weakest part of the bridge” so the minimum error of a designed system does not mean that more than that value of error is not possible. it just represents a qualitative view of the system. furthermore in previous replies I created mentioned that BER analyzer calculates the Bit error rate from the eye diagram depending on the eyeopening, threshold and applying various algorithm to calculate. so it is the minimum bit error rate possible for that system.

Regards,
        Dhiman

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Dhiman Kakati,

Very nice words “the strength of a bridge is determined by the strength of the weakest part of the bridge”.. A very nice corelation pointed out by you… I somewhat seem to get your point now and infact very nice explanation of the topic..

Regards
      Sahil SINGH

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello all..
      Thanks for your replies..it really helped and it is clear to me now..hope the discussions go on..thanking you.

With regards
      jyoti Raina

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hello Jyoti Raina,

I agree with the point of view of Atul sharma here that the maximum quality factor is application specific…. It infact varies from application to application..It has been rightly pointed out in the previous comments that more the quality factor more better will be the performance of the design..The minimum allowable bit error rate in a system is typically in the range of 10^-9 to 10^-12. However there is no such limit on quality factor. I hope this would help you.
      Regards

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

it is decided by ITU

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Jyoti,
      I don’t think that there is any limit on Maximum Q-factor.
      For ideal case it should be infinity.
      Practically, it should be as high as possible.

Thanks,

Karan Ahuja
      Spectator

Hi All
      I agree with most of you. The maximum allowable quality factor has no limit. It is indeed very good to have higher quality factor because that will reduce our bit error rate and increase the system performance.
      I hope you will find this helpful
      Regards

Hello everyone,
      I agree with all. It is true there is no limit on quality factor it can be as high as possible which is generally very much desirable.
      Thanks

mayank tiwari
      Spectator

It can be as high as possible. No limits as far as optic communication is concerned

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.