Home Forums SYSTEM Machzender modulator

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      shanmuga srinivasan
      Participant

The machzender modulator in optisystem version 13 did not work ..when a different voltage is driven to it at the electrical input the output doesn’t show any phase shift at all in the optical carrier

Tanveer
      Participant

hello shanmuga sri…
      as far as i am concerned i have used optiwave 13 there is no such problem however please attach the osd file of yours here so that every one have a look and you thus get a better solution to your issue…
      with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello tanveer,
        I don’t think it is about an issue with versions of optisystem . It has more to do with logic implementation.
        regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello shanmuga srinivasan,
      well i think it has something to do with the logical error you are making. It may be because of the amplitude of the voltages you are applying. The relation between the voltages applied has to be V1 = -V2 . I would suggest you to look at the basic set up of using a mach-zehnder modulator in the system design. Please refer to the link. May be it could help you.

Chirp in Mach-Zehnder Lithium Niobate Modulators

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

Hello shanmuga srinivasan,

there might be some problem in your design , there is no such problem in optisystem 13.

infact for you i have searched for the optisystem 13 sample .osd files, they work ed very finely there is not any issue.

for the convience i am attaching the vary sample .osd file you need,

with regards

umer syed
      Participant

hi all,

i appreciate asif and aabid sirs efforts for explaining it,

but it was straight forward now that there was no problem in the mach – zehnder modulator in the optisystem 13. after the asif has attached sample .osd files from the optisystem13, there is confusion.

thanks aasif

with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

you are welcome umer. As asif suggested , discussions are always welcomed!
        cheers

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

you are welcome, discussion are always welcomed

Tanveer
      Participant

hello aabid baba…
      i think you have replied without reading my full comment.. As i had mentioned it works well when I used it in optiwave 13.
      So I suggested to upload an .osd file for clear view…
      regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant

hello tanveer,
      Sorry for that. It may have been due to persistence of vision. Anyways , i still believe it has something to do with logic.
      regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aabid..
      The condition V1 = -V2 isn’t always true. Eg. when LiNb MZ modulators are used to generate PSK signals, the relation you mentioned for the two signals being out of phase logic isn’t employed.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello naazira,
        Thanks for sharing these valuable points. I did’t mean it would always be true i was just suggesting what the problem can be. Now that you said it is not the case then he might have to look at other things as well for making his design work but still he should make the voltages right and i believe that’s the reason he is not getting any results at the output of the modulator.

Regards

Hi all,
          Well yeah..i to some extent agree with either of you. Just as naazira mentioned that when LiNb MZ modulators are used to generate PSK signals, the relation for the two signals being out of phase logic isn’t employed but not only PSK with other type of signals too. But now as far as aabid’s suggestion is concerned it can work perhaps for the hit and trial troubleshooting. I hope he applies every possible trick i must say to resolve his issue.
          thanks and regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Aabid and Fayiqa..

Yeah.. he must be having some problem in his logical connections. Otherwise, this problem would never arise.

Regards.

shanmuga srinivasan
      Participant

thank you all for your reply..i tried the suggestions posted by you people…i could see the phase change in the electrical signal but not in the optical signal…when i tried to modulate a NRZ data with optical sine wave all i could see is the electrical data phase has been changed and is being modulated(amplitude) on to the optical carrier but the phase of optical signal remains the same..actually am using version 7 and trying to design a optical QAM modulator in version 7. i would feel glad if i receive help from you people to design it.thank you

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Shanmuga srinivasan ,
        If it is convenient for you could you please upload your osd file so that people try to troubleshoot your occurring problem. This problem in first place should not occur. The modulator should work fine with every signal you provide to it. Anyway , i hope you take the suggestions and work on it again or upload the file , whatever be convenient for you.
        regards

Hi All

Shanmuga srinivasan i would still suggest u to upload ur .osd file so that we could see what exactly the problem is. And may be by switching to the latest versions of optisystem u could get the results u require. As rightly mentioned by Naazira Fayiqa Aabid and Aasif they gave u the underlying logic behind but i believe if u upload the file the help could be more precise rather than beating around the bushes and discussing Machzender Modulator as a whole. still i would attach a link for ur reference.

https://www.comsol.co.in/model/mach-zehnder-modulator-15061

Best Regards

Burhan

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

As when in case of machzender-modulator a voltage is applied across one of the arms, a phase shift is induced for the wave passing through that arm. When the two arms are recombined, the phase difference between the two waves is converted to an amplitude modulation. I think You must have problem with your design because we don’t have any problem in using machzender-modulator in optisystem 13 or 14 version.

The attachments by AAsif sir works successfully and will clear your doubt

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi Shanmuga

Kindly upload your OSD. That would give us a better understanding, because otherwise there should be no issue with employing MZ Modulator in any version of Optisystem, regardless of the modulation scheme used in the design.

Regards.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.