Home Forums SYSTEM low noise amplifier (LNA)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      What is the function of a low noise amplifier?
      how does it works when it is used at the receiver input side?
      what is the difference between Erbium doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) and low noise amplifier (LNA)?
      Which component is there in optisystem V13 that can be used a a LNA?
      I have found this topic on a research paper. which is used after the horn antenna as seen in the image attached. I think it is made in the MATLAB code. I have also attached here the paper. Thanks in advance.

With Regards,
      Prarthana

Attachments:
      Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

The Image snapshot is attached which is taken from the pdf itself. Thanks

Regards

Attachments:
        alistu
        Participant

Hi Prarthana,

In the attached image, after the optical signal passes photodiode and is therefore converted to electrical signal, it is transmitted and received by an antenna. So the LNA used must be electrical, and not optical according to the attached diagram. Can you please verify if I am right, or kindly correct me otherwise? (It is also mentioned in the text that the LO is electrical.)

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
      Participant

It is a humble request to optiwave team to add some of the Wireless feature in optisystem so that the design becomes easier for all of us. Thanking you.

Regards

alistu
      Participant

Generally (for electrical and optical signals), a LNA (or a low noise amplifier) is as its name implies any amplifier with low noise, and is usually used in receiver side in order to give better signal to the receiver for detection. So it has to do with noise figure in Optical amplifiers.

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
        Participant

Hi Alistu, you have mentioned that

“a LNA (or a low noise amplifier) is as its name implies any amplifier with low noise and is usually used in receiver side in order to give better signal to the receiver for detection.” i.e. a amplifier that is of comparatively less noise,

but while googling i found a different concept “A Low-noise amplifier (LNA) is an electronic amplifier used to amplify very weak signals (for example, signals captured by an antenna). Essentially, an LNA amplifies signals that are barely recognizable without adding a lot of noise, as the name implies.”
        you can have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-noise_amplifier

it is basically used at the front-end of a radio receiver circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

regards

alistu
          Participant

The definition you have mentioned has an orientation towards application of these amplifiers, whereas mine describes their characteristic. For amplifying weak signals (like the ones received by antennas), even smallest noise amounts can cause remarkable effect on the information, so these amplifiers are used for these purposes.

Regards

Prarthana Kashyap
          Participant

Thanks Alistu for the reply. I will look deep into this matter.

Regards

alistu
          Participant

You’re welcome Prarthana.

Regards

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.