Home Forums SYSTEM Link equation used to calculate received power

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Marvi grover
      Participant

Hello everyone !!

received power calculated using the equation given in FSO component’s ‘help’ does not match with received power results given by optical power meter. i calculated the received power manually using the given equation and the same parameters as used for simulation, but the results do not match with power given by optical power meter. Can somebody help me with this
      what is the formula used to calculate received power in optisystem FSO system. the system used is shown in the attachement with the parameters used . can anybody tell me the received power of this link??
      i shall be really thankful to you

Regards
      Marvi

Marvi grover
      Participant

the system used is attached here

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Marvi,
      I am attaching a link of one paper where received power analysis is done. This may help your cause. I would suggest you to go through this paper.
      http://research.ijcaonline.org/iceice/number3/iceice020.pdf

I hope this will help you.
      Regards

Aabid Baba
      Participant
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Marvi,
      I completely got your problem. As far as the link equation is concerned can you tell what is the unit your are calculating the received power in? I mean is it dB or dBm or mW ?
      as far as i understand the power calculated should be same for the both procedures.
      Regards

Hello.

I think you should connect power meter after the combiner. See if there is some change in measurement.
      Thanks
      Regards

Marvi grover
        Participant

Thankyou so much for having a look.
        i tried to connect the power meter after the ‘select’ component in my system, but the power still doesnt match with calculated one.

Hi
          As i can already see that your problem has been solved. It could have been only the manual calculation as presumed. Anyway good work.Keep it up.
          Thanks
          Regards

Marvi grover
      Participant

Aabid bashir Baba and Sidra Khan

i am using the unit mentioned in the ‘help’ for the link equation i.e. meters for the transmitter and receiver aperture,
      kilometers for the ‘range’, dB/km for the attenuation and milliradian for the beam divergence, transmitted power in dBm.
      i think received power should be in ‘dBm’.
      following parameters are used in the optisystem design.

transmitter aperture:0.05 meter
      receiver aperture : 0.2 meter
      transmitted power : 10 dBm
      range : 1 kilometer
      attenuation: 25 dB/km
      beam divergence: 2 mrad

you can use these parameters and check the results manually. please let me know your result. i might be doing some mistake. i am also attaching the .osd file for the results given by optical power meter.

Attachments:
      Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hello Marvi,
      I was of the opinion that you may have taken different units while calculating power. The power meter shows you are taking the power reading in dBm and according to you , you are calculating manually in dBm too. So I think it may have something to do with calculation. I don’t think the calculated power should vary a lot. What is the exact variation around ?
      Regards

Marvi grover
      Participant

i am getting it as -35.2144 dbm and optical power meter gives it to be -38.421

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Marvi,
        Well it is almost 3dBm difference between the two values. I would suggest you to go through the manual calculation once again and see if you have taken all the parameters correctly. Your estimation is pretty close. Check if the values of some constants you have taken is correct. If the difference between two values narrows down to 1 dBm then it is very much fine.
        Best Wishes (y)
        Regards

Marvi grover
      Participant

Hello Aabid!!

i got to know my mistake. i was using the transmitted power as it is in the manual calculation.
      but my system had a MUX and modulator attached after the laser source which led to some power loss. so the actual power launched in th channel was less than 10dBm and this power was to be used in the calculation.
      i hope i am able to make my point.

Regards
      Marvi

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hello Marvi,
        I could see from the snapshot you had shared that it is transmitted power mentioned in the equation. I think you got to use the transmitted power. I am not sure that the launch power is equal to the power you measure at the start of the channel. I presume that launch power is actually the transmitted power from the source and the losses are already taken for standard calculation. You will have to look into that i suppose.
        Anyway for this case what is the difference between the power you calculated and one shown by the power meter?

Regards

Marvi grover
      Participant

in this case the power calculated manually is same as that given by optical power meter.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

okay I see. Probably you are doing right but here I want to mention that you are doing calculations discarding any transmission losses which do exist in practical scenario and any mathematical model may or may not include these losses.
      It was a good discussion.All the best.
      Regards

Marvi grover
      Participant

Thank you so much 🙂

Aabid Baba
      Participant

you are welcome 🙂

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.