Home Forums SYSTEM Linbo3 Phase Modulator

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Hi

Please I want to use Dual-port Linb MZM as phase modulator, what are the parameters ( switching bias voltage, switching RF voltage, bias voltage1, bias voltage2 and Vpi) should I use to operate the dual drive MZM as pure phase modulator?

Regards

Ravil
      Participant

The parameters are dependent on the frequency range you are working with. I’d suggest to take a look at the attached paper:

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Thank you Ravil for reply, but I can not find the attached paper.!

Ravil
      Participant

Appologize, I had some problems with attaching files before. Try one more time here:

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Dear Ravil please can you paste the text of the paper here because there is no attachment
      Regards

Ravil
      Participant

Sure, for some reason I have some problems with attaching files. Here is the name of the paper and the author:

“A Review of Lithium Niobate Modulators for Fiber-Optic Communications Systems”

Ed L. Wooten, Member, IEEE, Karl M. Kissa, Member, IEEE, Alfredo Yi-Yan,
      Edmond J. Murphy, Senior Member, IEEE, Donald A. Lafaw, Peter F. Hallemeier, Member, IEEE,
      David Maack, Member, IEEE, Daniel V. Attanasio, Daniel J. Fritz, Gregory J. McBrien, Member, IEEE,
      and Donald E. Bossi, Member, IEEE

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Ravil,

As you can see we are experiencing some technical problems with attaching files right now. The problem seems limited to the firefox browser, so if you wish try Chrome it should work. Either way this issue will be fixed soon.

Thanks

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

There is a certain configuration of dual port MZM for each application. I hope from OPTIWAVE team to give us the setting for phase modulator.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Setting a dual driven modulator to work as a phase modulator is as simple as setting the two voltages on both arms to the same value. From the default parameters change the modulation voltage 2 as 2 V.

I have attached a project file demonstrating this behavior.

Regards

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Thanx damian for answer. I have optisystem 12.0 and the file doesnot work. Which system are you build the file?

Attachments:
        Damian Marek
        Participant

I’m using OptiSystem 13.0. I attached a pic that gives the parameters and results you should be looking for. You can also use the Phase Modulator component, which is very simple to use.

Cheers

Attachments:
      Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Thank you Damian

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Dear Damian,
      I would like to ask you about the following my previous question regarding Linbo3 Phase Modulator, Now how I can control the phase modulation index of this configuration? what is the parameter should I change to get for example (40 degree) phase modulation index?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Keep the bias voltage the same, but change the peak to peak voltage to a smaller value. I believe the project file I sent you was a 90 degree phase shift, so if you scaled the voltages to 4/9’s of their value then you should get a 40 degree phase shift.

That should work!

ibrahim Akkaya
      Participant

Dear Damian,

I have downloaded and opened the osd file which you shared. However, when I run the file, the output of Optical Time Domain Visualizer_1 and _2 have constant intensities. It couldn’t modulate the laser. Could you check and help please?

Thanks for your attention

BYW: I’m very new at Optisystem.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.