Home Forums SYSTEM Light generation

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi all, I need to generate a light source not a single wavelength but having all the wavelength from 410nm to 900nm so how to do this using optisystem..?
      and then need to separate the the wavelength in term of single wavelength So how to do this, please give me some suggestion..?
      Thanks in advance.

Regards,
      Dhiman

alistu
      Participant

Hi Dhiman,

For this purpose, you may be able to use white light source component available in optical sources in the transmitters library. this component produces a signal with an optical spectrum which is not just like one single impulse (like CW laser), but encompasses a range of frequencies (or wavelengths).

Regard

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Thanks Alistu for the reply, I also think that way but what other parameters should i need to set so that the wavelength range is 420 nm to 900 nm. i.e. how much Band width i need to set for the same purpose. I am interested in real world component parameters, so for this purpose I need to simulate the the same in Optisystem first.

another issue after the light generation is to select a definite frequency (eg. 600 nm) so how can I extract from that light, I want to know the possible techniques. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
      Dhiman

alistu
        Participant

Unfortunately, I did not get the reason for you not being able to use white light source as the light source. I would be grateful if you collaborate more on this (Are you implying that white light source is not a real world component?) along with the problem stated in the second paragraph. Thank you.

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Alistu, i didn’t mention anywhere that the white light source can not be used, I have mentioned clearly that the wavelength range is 410 nm to 900 nm that is nothing but the white light range (400 nm to 700 nm) that consist of all the colours (VIBGYOR) so we can definitely use it. the thing is that i need to meet the requirement as in the wavelength range, this is mode of concern than that of whether it is white or a laser source.
          2nd paragraph of the reply #28433 i am still not getting any suggestion. The constraint in the second case is that after wavelength selection there should not be much side band i.e. very narrow side band. Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
          Dhiman

alistu
          Participant

Thank you for the explanation (The “real component” part had confused me). Unfortunately, I cannot currently think of any solution to the problem you have introduced right now. However, please see the optical spectrum of the white light source that is not in the aforementioned range (but still may not be of any help to you).

Regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Thanks Alistu for the reply. we can easily extract a specific carrier in case of multiplexed signal using various techniques, but in the case of non multiplexed one i am unable to do so.

Please anyone, I am looking for your suggestion.

Regards,

alistu
          Participant

I will let you know in case of having any suggestions. By the way, is it possible for you to introduce the paper (if there is any) whose introduced system you want to implement, or elaborate more on the application of the source, so that it would be possible to look for the way it has been simulated by others?

Regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Alistu, I have not followed any paper regarding this topic, Actually this topic was asked as a project to our “lightwave communication laboratory, North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong, India” from industrial side. Their requirements are as follows:

Topic: Accurate Optical Wavelength Selection
          invites proposals for accurate optical wavelength selection technologies to create variable spectrum light sources. aims to generate a light source with a variable bandwidth. This bandwidth is characterized by two wavelengths λmin and λmax, and only frequencies with wavelengths between λmin and λmax are to be present, as illustrated in the next picture. The bandwidth of the light source can be tuned by changing the two wavelengths λmin and λmax. The slope steepness at wavelengths λmin and λmax has to be high in order to reduce intensity variations around these frequencies as much as possible.

The successful proposals will meet the following criteria:
          • Tunable wavelength bandwidth in range from 410 nm to 900 nm. Solutions that cover a large part of this range, preferably the upper part until 900 nm, will also be considered.
          • Bandwidth range configurable in steps of 1 nm
          • Minimum bandwidth of maximum 5 nm.
          • Slope steepness(λ80% – λ5%) / λ50% * 100% < 1%
          • Able to tune the central frequency of the bandwidth within 10 ms. Changing the length of the bandwidth can take longer
          • Reproducibility of 0.1 nm for tuning the central wavelength

Solutions using optical filters will meet also:
          • In-band transmission rate should be >> 80%
          • Out of band suppression of at least 3 (preferably 5) orders of magnitude
          • Maximum size of a filter 100 x 15 x 1 mm3
          • Able to deal with a 10 Watt on a spot size with a diameter of 0.4 mm

Regards,
          Dhiman

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

The picture i missed out is attached herewith. this is in continuation with the above statement. Thank you so much for yours kind attention. please have a look.

Regards

Attachments:
        alistu
        Participant

Thank you for providing me with the further explanations. Can you please provide a link to where these have been mentioned if there is any? It still is not clear if it is asking for a device to be made, or a device with such characteristics to be simulated, or a system with this device being used.

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Hi Alstu, I can not provide further details at present, This is a project to be undertaken and I think I have given you sufficient information regarding this. Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
          Dhiman

alistu
          Participant

I have mentioned in my last comment about what is still not clear to me about the aforementioned project, but I don’t think it is of that much importance. Thank you anyway for the provided explanations. I will let you know in case I have any ideas that may help find any solution.

Regards

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
          Participant

Thanks Alistu For your cooperation.

Regards,
          Dhiman

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.