Home Forums FDTD laterally coupled grating

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Konstantina Saranti
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the OptiFDTD software.
      Is it possible to simulate a DFB (distributed feedback) laterally coupled grating laser as shown in the figure with the OptiFDTD program?

Thank you in advance.
      Best Regards,
      Konstantina

Attachments:
      Scott Newman

Konstantina,

It will depend on what exactly you are looking to model as well as the size of your structure relative to the feature sizes. It will also require use of the new versions of OptiFDTD, I doubt the 32-bit that many here use is capable of it.

• We have a Lorentz-Drude model which allows the modelling of the dispersive (and gain) materials you have. The pre-installed material libraries you can import already contain fits for your InGaAs/GaAs regions. I am assuming your electrodes are non-magnetic.
      • We have tools for easily designing both ridge waveguides and periodic structures

Concerns I will need more information will be:

• The ratio of your smallest feature to the full structure along the same direction. For example the specifications of your duty cycle and period for the Bragg grating relative to the length of the full grating.
      • Gain saturation – FDTD tools model gain through the complex refractive index, but they do not model gain saturation. Therefore the reliance on your design to gain saturation will be a concern.
      • Electro-optics – Do you plan on modelling the electro-optics through the use of the electrode?

I would strongly encourage you to download the evaluation of OptiFDTD 14 and try it out with your design. If you have issues come back here or reach out to our support team.

Scott

Konstantina Saranti
      Participant

Hi Scott,

thank you for your indepth answer and sorry for the late responce.

I would like to ask something else. Is the free version of OptiFDTD capable of simulating Evanescent waveguide couplers?
      Below are some images or what I would like to simulate.

Thank you for your time in advacne.

Konstantina

Scott Newman

I have answered in your post on the lateral coupler thread in order to keep things consistent.

<a href=”https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/evanescent-coupler/#post-49049″>https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/evanescent-coupler/#post-49049</a&gt;

Scott

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.