Home Forums FDTD evanescent coupler

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Konstantina Saranti
      Participant

Hallo everyone,

I would like to simulate an evanescent coupler of two parallel Fabry Perot lasers.

Can OptiFDTF perfom that task? and if yes, can someone give me some help on how to do it.

Thanks,
      Konstantina

Jing Wang
      Participant

can you please provide more information on what you want to simulate, like a paper or figure?

Konstantina Saranti
      Participant

Dear Jing,

thank you for your answer.
      Attached is an image showing two laterally coupled semiconductor lasers of different lengths.

That is what I would like to simulate.
      any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Konstantina

Attachments:
      Konstantina Saranti
      Participant

Hallo everyone,

Is the free version of OptiFDTD capable of simulating Evanescent waveguide couplers?
      Below are some images or what I would like to simulate.

Thank you!

Konstantina

Scott Newman

Hello Konstantina,

I notice that you originally began asking about this back in July of last year. Have you attempted to build any of these structures and are running into issues?

I would like to clarify something, are you looking to model the evanescent coupling or are you looking at modeling the entire laser system that is shown in image-1-1? OptiFDTD, either the 32-bit or the current release could model the general optical properties of the system but would not model the electrical system or lasing as this is not something included in the FDTD algorithms we have implemented.

Please note that while the 32-bit version of OptiFDTD is free it is a dated version of the software and does not include any of the improvements or upgrades that exist within the current release. There is no support for the the free product other than here in the forums.

Regards,
      Scott

Konstantina Saranti
      Participant

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your reply.
      I have tried to model the entrire laser system as one piece but I came across some difficulties when calculating the overall mode of the system as well as the coupling stength and length. I did it long time ago but I thougth to ask again here if is even feasible….
      So, based on your answer the composite structure of two laterally coupled waveguides that can function as a single cavity is not possible to be simulated with this software,right?

Thanks,
      Konstantina

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.