Home Forums SYSTEM is it possible to measure the double rayleigh backscattering?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Joseph Jiang
      Participant

hi,everyone ,i want to know is it possible to measure the double rayleigh backscattering if i use bidirectional fiber_optic.thank you!

Alessandro Festa
      Participant

That’s an interesting question…maybe you need to use iterations set to 2 to do that? I would wait for Damien to answer…

Damian Marek
      Participant

Yes, from the technical background of the component multiple Rayleigh back-scattering is modeled. At each step along the fiber, the contribution of backscattered light from the forward travelling signal is added to the backward travelling signal and vice versa.

Regards

Joseph Jiang
        Participant

damian,thank you for your answer.I was learning the double rayleigh backscattering in my unidirectional system .the signal travels forward and it will be backscattered for the first time and twice time ,which will interface with the forward traveling signal.so i want to research how the double rayleigh back scattered signal affect the forward signal and i wonder if the double backscattered light will be added to the forward traveling signal and how we can measure the double rayleigh backscattering power in optisystem?

Damian Marek
          Participant

When you run a simulation with the Bidirectional fiber the double back-scattered light is given as a parameterized signal at the output. Using an OSA could determine its power in relation to the input signal power.

Joseph Jiang
          Participant

ok,thank you damian,i get the answer!

Alessandro Festa
        Participant

So iterations can be set to 1?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Depending on your total system it might not be 1. However, the Rayleigh backscattering calculation takes place inside the fiber model. If your system has feedback or more than one upstream component then you would need an Initial Delay or extra signal iterations.

Cheers

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.