Home Forums FDTD incoherent source

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      park sun geun
      Participant

I want to make incoherent source.
      Is it possible make incoherent a source?

If make incoherent source use multiple sources, how can i use normalization power spectrum.

Scott Newman

This is accomplished through the use of dipole/point sources. There are two ways of accomplishing this.

First you could run multiple (many) simulations with randomized positioned and polarized sources with different phase offsets. However, the number of simulations required to do this is excessive because the sample size must be sufficiently large that averaging the results produces a reasonable result.

The other option is to run a number of simulations each with only one point source with polarization and position. Then collect the results of these coherent simulations by adding them incoherently [1/n*(|E1|^2+|E2|^2+|E3|^2+…+|En|^2)].

You will not be able to use the built in normalized power spectrum as this is not available with point sources. You would need to setup a measurement configuration to measure what came from the source and manual normalize the data. One option would be to run simulations with just the source and then simulations with source and structure and you could normalize them this way.

Scott

park sun geun
      Participant

Thank you, Scott.

I have another problem.
      I make reflectance measurement file and want to see reflectance of angle source. I set 0 degree and 30 degree. but 30 degree source make reflectance more than 1. I know this is a divergence. what is wrong my simulation?

Sungeun

Scott Newman

Hello Sungeun,

Without seeing your design file there are a number of possible sources for error. Could you please attach your fdt file for me to review?

Scott

park sun geun
      Participant

Sorry,scott

I attach file.

sungeun

Scott Newman

Hello Sungeun,

I have taken a look at your design and run some testing and believe you are running into issues with the periodic boundary conditions. Those boundary conditions are designed for normal incidence and do not take the phase corrections required for your tilted source into account.

In my test cases I brought the source and detector closer to the interface and widened the crystal and wafer domain along the x. These changes brought the simulation back into line with expected results.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.