Home Forums SYSTEM IF to RF conversion

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      muhammad saqlain
      Participant

Dear All,
      i am working on problem to transmit a 5GHz(IF signal) with data rate of 6-7 Gb/s(using simple NRZ modulation format) over a fiber length of 40 Km.In receiver at PD,RF signal (let say 10 GHz(twice of transmitted RF signal)) is detected and finally want to up-convert this 10GHz electrical signal to some higher frequencies(60-90 GHz) using “Mixer” or any other technique.I could not find the component “mixer” in optisystem 15(trail version) library.Looking forward to your valuable suggestion.

Dear Muhammad,
      you can use the Electrical Multiplier as a mixer.

hope that helps to solve your problem.
      thanks
      Mohamed Abouseif

muhammad saqlain
      Participant

Ok i try but in my opinion, electrical multiplier does not have the same characteristics of electrical mixer.

Try it and let us discuss!!

muhammad saqlain
      Participant

ok dear Mohamed.

muhammad saqlain
      Participant

Dear Mohamed,i share my simulation result.please see the attachment(snapshots) one by one start from 1) photo-diode output 2)output of electrical multiplier (supposed to be electrical mixer),this multiplier is driven by 60GHz sinusoidal signal and one input from photo-diode.I look forward to your valuable comments to clear it whether it is working like a “ELECTRICAL MIXER”!!! .

muhammad saqlain
      Participant

find the missed attachment from the trailing post.

Attachments:
      muhammad jawad
      Participant

Dear
      Use beating technique to upconvert LF RF signal into mm-wave signal by beating two closely spaced wavelengths all-optically.That i know
      In your case what do u mean by MIXER???
      Generally MIXER applied in wireless communication to up or down conversion.In optics, beating serves the same purpose

muhammad saqlain
      Participant

dear jawad,i am asking about the electrical mixer concept and i know the beating process.and above received signal at 60GHz after PD is achieved by hetrodying two free lasers.

muhammad jawad
      Participant

I again reiterate that the emergence of optical techniques of generating higher carrier frequencies is due to the in-capabilities of electrical components like up and down converters, mixers etc.So may be you can find a component in optisys for mixing but in practical scenario not possible

muhammad saqlain
      Participant

let me explain the “ROLE of MIXER” the output would be like (F1+F2 and F1-F2) F1 and F2 are RF signal and Local oscillator frequencies respectively.output of photo-detector (PD) is 60GHz mm-wave signal(RF) with 7Gbps data rate and know the point is how to down convert this signal let say 5GHz.how to down convert it according to mixer basic operating principle.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.