Home Forums SYSTEM How to restrict side bands in Direct Modulation of RF (Analogue) signal

How to restrict side bands in Direct Modulation of RF (Analogue) signal

Profile Photo
(joined October 2014)
Participant

Hi every one !
Hope u all are fine.

I am working on Direct Modulation of RF signal with CW laser. The frequency of RF signal is 12.5 GHz and Bit rate is 128 Mega bits/sec.

When i directly modulate RF signal with CW Laser (a component in Optical transmitter library) ” then i got number of side bands as shown in below figure.1 (i have used “sample per bit = 64” here in this case).

Now problem is that i need only three side bands on right side of center frequency and three bands on left side of center
frequency but i don’t know how to reduce side-bands to only three on both sides of center frequency.

I have also tried the above case with sample per bit = 32 and the number of side bands i got is shown in fig.2.
I have also done the same scenario by varying the amplitude of RF signal but that does not effect much on side bands.
I have also attached the components i have used in my case as shown in figure.3.

Kindly guide me if anyone know the solution or how to resolve the above problem. I will be very thankful to you for your this act of kindness.

Best Regards

Responses (3):

Profile Photo
      Ibn Aziz
      Participant

Hi every one !
      Hope u all are fine.

I am working on Direct Modulation of RF signal with CW laser. The frequency of RF signal is 12.5 GHz and Bit rate is 128 Mega bits/sec.

When i directly modulate RF signal with CW Laser (a component in Optical transmitter library) ” then i got number of side bands as shown in below figure.1 (i have used “sample per bit = 64” here in this case).

Now problem is that i need only three side bands on right side of center frequency and three bands on left side of center
      frequency but i don’t know how to reduce side-bands to only three on both sides of center frequency.

I have also tried the above case with sample per bit = 32 and the number of side bands i got is shown in fig.2.
      I have also done the same scenario by varying the amplitude of RF signal but that does not effect much on side bands.
      I have also attached the components i have used in my case as shown in figure.3.

Kindly guide me if anyone know the solution or how to resolve the above problem. I will be very thankful to you for your this act of kindness.

Best Regards

Profile Photo
      Ibn Aziz
      Participant

if any one know any other technique which involves Direct Modulation of RF signal with CW laser and results into 3 side bands on both side of center frequency, plz share.

Best Regards.

Profile Photo
      Abdallah Ismail
      Participant

Why didn’t you try to use a band-pass filter to get the band you like in your comb generator?

+1
      Profile Photo
      Ibn Aziz
      Participant

Thanks Abdallah for ur kind response.
      Yes, Abdallah i can get by using band pas filter but i am not using it because i want to make cost efficient system which includes as less components as possible. Therefore i am trying to acquire desire side bands by using optical processing techniques (on the components as shown in fig.3 attached above) rather then using any optical components preferably.

Login You must be logged in to reply to this topic.