Home Forums FIBER How to design a graded index fiber?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Bhagyalaxmi Behera
      Participant

I want to design a few mode fiber that is a type of graded index multi mode fiber. Where the core refractive index is decreases with increasing the core radius. How I can design that?

Hi Bhagyalaxmi,
      you can find multimode graded index fiber in this path:
      Default/Multimode Library/Optical Fibers/
      there are three types of fibers. one of them is titled “Measured-Index Multimode Fiber”

in this fiber the refractive index profile can be defined as one of three built-in profiles (parabolic index, Alpha profile, Step index) and more over you can insert the refractive index “From File”.
      So for your question, I suggest to save your refractive index in a file then upload it to OptiSystem.
      the file should have two colons. the first colon is the radius in microns and the second colon is the real value of the refractive index.
      I encourage you to check the manual of the suggested fiber for more information.
      Good luck,
      thank
      Mohamed

Steve Dods
      Participant

To make a layer composed of graded index in OptiFiber:

1) In the Fiber Profile dialog box, select a layer. Some data for this layer will appear in the Region name panel.
      2) In the Profile combo box select “function” (Default is “constant”)

3) In the Function combo box box select “linear, or parabolic, alpha peak, dip, exponential, Gaussian…etc.

4) click on Refr. Index Define button inRegion name panel to specify details of your refractive index.

5) Adjust Steps as required for sufficient precision.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.