Home Forums SYSTEM how to define the parameter for the components

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lisaaaa
      Participant

My project aim is to design a ring network to identify optical power management. I have designed a ring network but got problems with the parameter for the components.My design is in the attachments.

For more specific information, I want to know how to define the fiber type of a model?SMF or MMF? and what about amplifiers ,transmitters and receivers? these are all need to be taken into consideration when it comes to the practical model. How can I define the parameters? Many thanks for any help.

Can anyone show me the relationship between the ring network with power management?

alistu
      Participant

Hi Lisaaaa,

As I have mentioned, in order to choose parameters you can refer to the parameters chosen in papers where they have been chosen according to commercially available components. You can also name the components here so that we would be able to find their practical values if you like. BTW, In many cases, OptiSystem default values are also commercially available values.

Regards

Lisaaaa
        Participant

In optical system parameters, what does α represent ? and what is the relationship between the fiber with α ?

alistu
          Participant

Can you please tell where you have seen it in OptiSystem? In case you are asking in general, I have seen alpha being used to represent optical fiber attenuation per kilometer in an optical fiber. Attenuation of the fiber is usually measured in dB/km in relations and equations and in OptiSystem optical fiber.

Lisaaaa
          Participant

Yes!Exactly! BTW, what is the formula between attenuation and fiber? Thank you very much!

alistu
          Participant

As I mentioned in my former post, attenuation in the optical fiber is usually measured in dB/km. Therefore, in order to know the overall loss caused by an optical fiber, you would just need to multiply the length of that fiber by the attenuation. This way, the loss is calculated in dB (dB/km x km = dB).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.