Home Forums BPM holey fibers/Photonic crystal fibers

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

How do i design a holey or photonic crystal fiber in OPTIBPM. I have searched everywhere for examples.? Any link that leads me to getting help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Scott Newman

Hello Kumbirayi,

With your OptiBPM installation a product called OptiMode was installed. In the documentation (User Reference 1) you will find tutorials. Tutorial 5 has step by step instructions on how to setup a vb script that will configure a PCF. This and be extended to OptiBPM.

Scott

Steve Dods
      Participant

Hello Kumbirayi, have a look at the attached project HexN6rw.bpd.
      This project has fibres consisting of air arranged in a hexagonal pattern in a glass substrate to create the photonic crystal stucture reported in

Optics Letters Vol.22 No. 13 p961 (1997)

As I seem to recall, this was the first photonic crystal. They were unknown before this date. Like most photonic crystals, it consists of many holes precisely placed. Too many holes to place by hand, so this project creates the holes(fibres consisting of air) and places them with a script.

Create the structure using the script:
      Simulation >> Run Script

Simulate with Gaussian excitation.
      Simulation >> Calculate 3D Isotropic Simulation >> Run …

Note the initial Gaussian excitation develops into a guided mode.

Steven Dods, June 2003

Scott Newman

Just to make sure the record is complete, I cannot definitely comment on the first photonic crystal fiber paper; however, I can state that within the literature the foundational photonic crystal papers are typically considered to be those by E. Yablonovitch (Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 2059 1987) and S. John (phys rev lett 58 2486 1987).

Scott

Steve Dods
      Participant

project HexN6rw.bpd.

hi

I have come up with a hexagonal shaped photonic crystal fiber, with the holes in the first inner ring at 0.5 in diameter and the rest of the outer rings at 0.6. to dertemine the spacing(pitch) is still a challenge, i want it to be 2. I did the mode field simulation and its coming out funny like on some corner outside this fiber. Where am i getting wrong and how do i fix this and also can i dertemine the ZDW? Find attached the file i developed(nb. i am still very new in using this software)

Steve Dods
      Participant

Hello Kumbirayi,
      I cannot find your attachment. Please have patience with our server and try to attach again. (I had to try twice to attach mine too!)

Here is the attachment again

Attachments:
      Steve Dods
      Participant

Hello Kumbirayi,
      In your sample, PCf-Modes.mxd, the holes do not extend throughout the whole simulation window. See Lesson 5 – PhotonicXtal.mxd for an example. The holes are found everywhere throughout the whole X-Y Plane. If they aren’t there, the mode solver will look for a solution that is partly formed by the simulation window boundary. This is an artifact. This is what you describe as “funny like on some corner outside this fiber”. This is the reason the holes are put everywhere in Lesson 5 -PhotonicXtal.mxd . The holes must exist over a large area to properly confine the mode.

Please fill your exmpty space with photonic crystal holes, and you may see the real photonic crystal mode. It takes many holes to support it. That is why Lesson 5 uses script to create and place them – too many to do by hand!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.