Home Forums FDTD Heat absorption over a volume instead of an area?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Christopher Dirdal
      Participant

Hi!

I am very pleased to have discovered the heat absorption module, which calculates the absorption over an area by using the expression

0.5 Re( J*E) = 0.5 sigma |E|^2

as outlined in chapter 6.4 in the technical background. My question is: Can this be used over a volume, in order to measure the absorption within a portion of a waveguide? Alternatively, is it possible to somehow extract the field information over a volume and calculate the absorption manually?

Thanks

Damian Marek
      Participant

Technically this is possible, but in practice I am not so sure. You could script the generation of numerous Observation Areas, that are all offset by 1 mesh point. This would capture the slices of the volume in different observation areas, which you could then export the fields using the scripting language as well.

However, if you are measuring the absorption of a waveguide you would probably be fine with only having a couple observation areas and interpolating the data in between the areas. If you are exciting propagating modes then the field distribution should be changing very slowly over the length of the waveguide.

Damian

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.