Home Forums SYSTEM Graph between BER v/s SNR

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Sushank Chaudhary
      Participant

Hi,

Is their any facility in OptiSystem to plot the graph of BER vs OSNR/SNR like Optsim ?

Tech Support
      Participant

Yes there is. We recently added that to the BER test set. You can plot BER versus any parameter in the system. NOTE: this is in the BER test set, not the BER Analyzer. For the BER Analyzer, you would have to create these plots by hand (by copying/pasting the results into a program like excel).

An example for this usage is file “112Gbps Coherent DP-QPSK_B2B_theory with DSP.osd” in the “Documents\OptiSystem 12 Samples\Advanced modulation systems\PSK systems” directory. One has to set up multiple sweep iterations first because you are plotting graphs of the results from data of multiple runs.

Mohamed Ben zegalam
        Participant

I think we can plot the BER vs SNR by using BER analyser and Electrical carrier analyser without need to move to other program like excel.

all what you need is to put the electrical carrier analyser after NRZ pulse generator sat the receiver side, then plot it as normal 2D plot in the report

is that correct or am I make a mistake

DIVYA SHARMA
      Participant

IT IS MENTIONED THAT GET GRAPH AT LAST ITERATION BER VS OSNR..BUT VALUES ARE DISPLAYING AFTER EACH ITERATION ON RUNNING ABOVE EXAMPLES, BUT NO GRAPH OCCURING..EXACTLY HOW GRAPH CAN BE ENCOUNTERED AFTER RUNNING THE PROGRAM?

Metin Ozturk
      Participant

Hi.

When we perform multi-itaration, we do not change any parameter. So, SNR, BER, and OSNR values are very close for each iterations.

In my opinion, this does not make any sense.

How can we plot BER/SNR graph?

Regards.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Metin,

The method provided by Mohamed seems to be working fine,as I have tried it on one occasion. The values of BER, SNR and other similar being close to each other for all iterations may be a result of the sweep parameter values being chosen too close to one another. See if this is true in your case.

Regards

Hi all

I don’t have an access to the tool right now so Can anyone tell me does the BER test set give the value of electrical SNR or optical OSNR ?
      By use of a simple BER analyser and an electrical analyser we can get the values of BER and electrical SNR respectively.
      I wanted to know if we have a component in the optiwave library which gives the value of optical SNR ?

Regards

Gokul Boro .
      Participant

Hi all,
      The Tech support commented that the plot can be done using BER Test Set. But it was not clearly stated as how to do it. Can anyone explain in steps how to do it.
      Also as asked by Fayiqa, OSNR or SNR does BER Test give.
      Thanks

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi Shashank ,
      I don’t think, there is provision for plotting graph of BER against SNR.
      There is a relation between BER and SNR, if the noise power is fixed,
      the signal power wiil decrease proportional to the square of the distance.
      As So basically SNR is a fundamental problem generated by noise;
      while Bit Error is generated due to encoding and decoding techniques.
      For relation between SNR and BER, i am posting the links:
      http://web.mit.edu/6.02/www/s2011/handouts/L07_slides.pdf
      http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/rf-technology-design/ber/bit-error-rate-tutorial-definition.php

The BER result is plotted to the
      right for various SNR values as in figure :

Thanks and regards,
      Rajguru

Attachments:
      Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.