Home Forums SYSTEM GPON

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Dear All

I will kindly request that How can I calculate the GPON capacity for effective FTTH service

Thank you

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hello Durga parsad
      Welcome to optisystem,i would suggest you to go through forum for your particular question.Topic regarding GPON has discissed many times in this forum.if then you will find any help,then let us know.In general the capacity of Gpon depends upon Data rate and no. Of user .For gepon it is data rate is 2.5 G for downstream and 1.25 G upstream supporting 1:128 users for 20/40 Km.

Ravil
      Participant

Hello Durga,

Sam Sung gave a very important information about your question and, mostly, answered it. From my point of view, I would like to add that it is also good to check and follow the recommendations that has been issued for GPON. These recommendations are given by ITU-T as G.984-1,6. Please, see the following links for direct search:
      https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.984.1/en
      https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.984.1-200803-I/en

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you Ravil for the explanation,also paper that you attached for GPON standard from ITU mannual is having good points and be able to clear the doubts of system and specification .

Ravil
        Participant

You are welcome, Sam Sung. I thought that recommendation ITU-T can complete the explanation that you have started making very important general point about GPON’s structure and architecture.

ambrish
      Participant

Hi, Sam Sung

The capacity of an optical communication system is frequency measured in terms of the bit rate -distance product. if a system is capable of transmitting x-Mbps over a distance of y Km, it is said to have a bit rate-distance product of xy (Mbps)-Km.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you Ambrish for explaining the Bandwidth distance product.But i far as t know in passive optical networks it also depends upon the user supported by the system.However general capacity of optical systems is ,what you have written.

alistu
        Participant

Hi Sam Sung,

I believe the number of users is somehow taken into account as the overall bitrate of the system. For example, if a system has 64 users with each receiving at 10Gbps, then the overall bitrate is the product 64 X 10e9=640e9 and in the bitrate -distance product, the overall bitrate is considered. It makes more sense to me, but I am not sure about it.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hi Alisthu
      Explanation given above by ambrish and you is very much close to mine.I was just made the statement due to passive optical networks that in these systems splitted users are the important for consideration while the calculations.In general systems capacity is common for optical system which is BW.Distance product.I think i made my point clear that both the answers are same and compliment to eacth other. 🙂

alistu
        Participant

I see your point and yes! Both statements explain the same thing. However, you have mentioned that Bandwidth.Distance product is the common way of calculating an optical system performance, while I have seen many cases in which Bitrate.Distance is taken into consideration, for example in Agrawal’s “Fiber Optic Communication Systems” and also in wikipedia. So now I am not sure which is the most common one. But thank you for your further explanations.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Welcome Alisthu and thank you for more discussion about this topic.Disscusionn always make points more clear and end up with some good points 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.