Home Forums SYSTEM Generate Graph: Wavelength vs. Attenuation from Optical Fiber

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Martin Weinel
      Participant

Hi at all,

Urgently I need your help for a task I didn’t even find a solution yet:

I need to create the following graph with the software by simulation: x axis wavelength and y axis attenuation of an optical fiber. An example is attached.

I can’t find a way to change the graph at Report/Layout/Global/Optical Fiber/Graphs/Attenuation not even with properties of optical fiber or Transmitter.

Can anyone help?

Thanks and best regards

Ahmad Atieh

Dear Martin,
      You may right click on the fiber component in OptiSystem and select Component View…, then choose 2-D Graphs and expand Left Display as shown in the attached graph to display the attenuation profile of the fiber. Please note that you can load your own attenuation profile or use the default profile which is shown in the image.
      I hope this helps.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Martin Weinel
      Participant

Thanks for your answer.

I shortly need to check if I understand right. Isnt it possible to get to the attached attenuatin profile by simulation with the software?
      Also not by using different sweeps or other settings of the laser or fiber?

If this is what you mean, I need to create an own file with attenuation values in the wavelength range (for example 800-1600 nm) and integrate into the optical fiber?

Regards

Ahmad Atieh

The fiber attenuation profile can be used from the default file or loaded externally. The profile shown in the image is the stored default one, you may control the set attenuation at a specific wavelength in the fiber component popup window, which is also shown in the image. However, to get the exact profile you’ve provided, you need to load the attenuation profile. There are many profiles in OptiSystem documentation at the following link. You may try them by loading through the “Load” button in the component properties popup window. That is typically what used in the industry.
      C:\Program Files\Optiwave Software\OptiSystem 17\components\Optical Fiber

To summarize, you may build a project to extract the fiber attenuation profile. However, at the end of the day, you’ll get what you load or what is stored as a default.

Regards,
      Ahmad

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.