Home Forums SYSTEM Gaussian Pulse generator

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

Hi,
      I am using bit sequence generator with (10 Gb/s) to drive an electrical Gaussian pulse generator. I need a Gaussian pulse with FWHM about (85 ps), what the value of bit period should I use in the width parameter of Gaussian pulse generator? How I can measure FWHM of generated pulse?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi,

You can use the Width parameter in the component properties. For the electrical gaussian generator. The width corresponds to the full width half maximum of the power. So looking at the visualizer for the electrical component that would be at 1/sqrt(2) or 0.7071. The width is also normalized to the bit period, so for a 10 Gb/s signal or 100 ps bit period the width should be set to 85/100 or 0.85.

This width is actually going to overlap with pulses adjacent to it, (if you have a sequence) so I would increase the bit rate to 20 Gb/s and then set the width to 0.425.

Hope this helps!

Jaffar Emad Kadum
      Participant

thanks Damian for answer;

the peak of electrical Gaussian pulse is in (au) unit and not power unit so the the FWHM should be at 1/2 point not at 1/sqrt(2) point. Please clarify

Thank you.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Jaffar,

I’m not sure what the convention is in electronics, but I believe in optics usually the FWHM is determined by the intensity (proportional to power) You are correct to say that the electrical signal is not power as A.U. could be considered as current or voltage depending on the component, but we use the same convention. The Width parameter in the electrical gaussian pulse generator will determine the FWHM of the power signal, so in A.U. that corresponds to the square root, which results in the full width at 1/sqrt(2).

Hope this clears it up.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.