Home Forums SYSTEM Gain parameter in OFDM 12 demodulator

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mohamed Ben zegalam
      Participant

Hi All,

I notice that the gain parameter in the OFDM 12 demodulator has high value in some optisystem samples (almost 17000), also it look like a factor not dB value as the gain of the amplifiers.
      is there some one has good knowledge about this parameters.

alistu
      Participant

Hi Mohamed,

Based on my own experience, I think this parameter plays a part in determining the optical power of the signal after being converted into light, while we expect the optical power to be determined by the laser, and not by the electrical power. Nonetheless, I don’t know its exact function either.

Regards

Mohamed Ben zegalam
      Participant

Hi Alistu,

thanks for your reply, I think this parameter is increasing the signal some how inside the OFDM demodulator, because I notice when I increase the gain then amplitude of the constellation increase, and when I decrease it then the amplitude is decrease it also.
      moreover, if I increase any gain at any amplifier (electrical or optical ) before the OFDM demodulator or the power transmitter then I have to decrease the gain at the OFDM demodulator to get better results.

alistu
        Participant

It can be understood why when the gain in system (amplifiers, laser power,…) increases, the OFDM modulator gain should sometimes be decrease3d for better results, and the reason may be the nonlinear effects, but what you have mentioned about the effect of OFDM demodulator gain on the results is really strange (and yet it happens)… unless there is saturation and so on.

Damian Marek
      Participant

The gain boosts the output signal by a factor. The gain is not given in dB!

Mohamed Ben zegalam
      Participant

Hi Damian,

thanks for your reply, it normal for the gain to be too hight such as 10000.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.