Home Forums FIBER Gain Flattening Fiber Amplifier

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Safwan Jack
      Participant

Hi all. I am a beginner and I have only use Optisys 7 for 1 month.

1) Im trying to design a gain-flattening filter for EDFA. Firstly, i need to design an EDFA system. I have been trying to design the system using this setup (Link below) but i didnt really manage to get any result. My SV told me that I supposed to put a pump before EDF but i cant really put it there.

Lesson 7: Optical Amplifiers — Designing Optical Fiber Amplifiers and Fiber Lasers

2) Is there any way of using anything to get a gain flattened filter beside the gain flattening filter block? I have read some theory about doing ‘circulation’ but i dont really understand how to use the blocks inside optisys.

3) Here is the system i try to create. But I didnt really get the result. I’ve try putting optical delay but it didnt work either.

Attachments:
      Alessandro Festa
      Participant

Hi Safwan, have you tried to use components that are not bidirectional?

Regards,

Alessandro

Safwan Jack
        Participant

Hi Alessandro.

Thanks for your kind reply. Yes I have tried. In fact I have tried several method to design a gain flattening filter but I seems to have failed. Now, Iam trying to do a gain clamping EDFA by looping as suggested by my SV. Im doing the simulation base on the Journal “A Steady-Gain C-band EDFA for Multi-Wavelength Fiber Optical Transport Networks”. I dont really understand how to use the coupler 50/50. As the splitter, im being told that using 1×2 power splitter is okay.

Attachments:
      aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi safwan jack,

the screen shot you have attached and your description reveal that your you are confusion about the gain flatting filter…

the gain flatting filter you are using is just a black box…and has only simulatio importance…for practical application you need the devices that are abble to equalizer the gain at all wavelengths.

with regards

+1
      ZULKARNAIN
      Participant

hi safwan jack..
      i agree with other two masters who respond to this query.i think you should the tutorial about gain-flattening filter with an EDFA to get some idea about it.For your reference i am attaching the link for the tutorial.Hope your problem gets resolved soon.

Gain Flattening Filter Optimization

with regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,
      EDFAs have a wavelength-dependent gain; i.e., some wavelengths are amplified more than others. A gain flattening filter restores all wavelengths to approximately the same intensity.

a practical example can be an linear chirped fiber grating(LcFBG) not operating in saturation mode…where every wavelength is replected as per our need.we can tune the chirp or length of FBG as per our need.
      with regards

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      We have the way of using something to get a gain flattened in Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifier .
      We could use g Dual-Core Fiber for this, i would suggest you to visit the following links:
      http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=896325

Gain Flattening Fiber Amplifier

varinder singh
      Participant

Hi Alessandro.

Thanks for your kind reply.a practical example can be an linear chirped fiber grating(LcFBG) not operating in saturation mode…where every wavelength is replected as per our need.we can tune the chirp or length of FBG as per our need.
      with regards

varinder singh
      Participant

hi safwan jack..
      i agree with other two masters who respond to this query.i think you should the tutorial about gain-flattening filter with an EDFA to get some idea about it.https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/gain-flattening-fiber-amplifier/
      with regards

varinder singh
      Participant

hi safwan jack,

the screen shot you have attached and your description reveal that your you are confusion about the gain flatting filter…Hi,
      We have the way of using something to get a gain flattened in Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifier .https://optiwave.com/forums/topic/gain-flattening-fiber-amplifier/
      with regards

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

hi safwan jack..

i agree with other two masters who respond to this query.i think you should the tutorial about gain-flattening filter with an EDFA to get some idea about it.For your reference i am attaching the link for the tutorial.Hope your problem gets resolved soon.

with regards

+2
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.