Home Forums KNOWLEDGE Free Space Optical Links [Optical System]

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Damian Marek
      Participant

Question:

What kind of free space optical links can OptiSystem model?

Damian Marek
      Participant

Answer:

We have two models that are contained in components in the Free Space Optics library. One model is called the FSO Channel and the other model is called the OWC Channel. Both models are similar, but the parameters used are a little different. The FSO is more optimized for short reach applications and the OWC is best suited for long distance applications. However, each one can be used for any standard optical propagation between two telescopes. We can model losses, delays and scintillation.

Eng. Yan
      Participant

how can we improve the channel loss in the free space channel?

alistu
        Participant

Hi Alyan,

Since the attenuation should be calculated based on a physical model, nothing can be done about it. However, you can compensate for the loss in optisystem by using optical amplifier component that considers the used amplifier as a black box and you only need to set the values for gain (or power level) and noise figure, even though I think fiber amplifiers have also been used in FSO in some research works.

Regards

prakash jat
      Participant

is it to possible to get required approximate result as given by implmented fso system because i have designed 100 gbps at 100km but i seem that it is not practically possible
      so what is the use of that kind of research

have anyone idea on about that topic ?

alistu
        Participant

Hi Prakash,

I didn’t exactly understand what you are referring to by “required approximate results”. But if you have managed to reach a certain bitrate-distance product using OptiSystem, you should be able to reach it more or less in practice, as OptiSystem components have been modeled based on real components. At least, there should not be any significant difference unless some undesired physical effects are ignored in the simulation.

Regards

Eng. Yan
      Participant

thank you alistu

alistu
        Participant

You’re welcome Alyan.

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..

I am currently working on the FSO. I’m using FSO channel. OptiSystem 14.0 has introduced a third channel in the FSO library – indoor free space channel. This can be used for indoor communication and the source is treated as Lambertian.

Hi Damian..Yes, the losses can be modelled. However, for scintillation, it employs only Gamma-Gamma fading model when the function is enabled. It should provide an option to choose from the fading models based on the link range and modulation schemes employed.

Regards.

ali ateya
      Participant

hi guys
      please can anyone help me to design free space fiber optics using pulse position modulation
      thank you all

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.