Home Forums GENERAL Free space optical communication

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      syed fareed
      Participant

can we use FSO in underwater communication?

Remo De Suza
      Participant

Hello Syed Fareed.

My area of research interest in free space optics but i don’t think we can use it for underwater communications. At the moment we are struggling to use it for terrestrial communication to get best out of it. It is still in its infancy stage and a lot has to be done to implement it on ground with data rates supporting the existing one. It has still long way to go to be used for under water communications. I hope you got my point.

With Regards

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hello Syed Fareed,

It is correctly mentioned by Remo De Suza that as of now we cannot use free space optics (FSO) for underwater communications.. But it is also worthwhile to mention here that lot of research is currently being done to see itd feasibility but again its a long way off to be used for underwater communications… Hope this helps…

Regards
      Sahil Singh

Dr. Dhiman Kakati
      Participant

Hi syed fareed,
      I totally agree with Remo’s answer, I want to add that from the name itself it is specially designed for free space Optical communication that has a Refractive index (RI) of 1 but in case of water RI=1.33 This is a vast difference accordingly the speed of light will be lesser in water all the optisystem component property will not natch with it due to this difference. an turbulence and viscosity of fluid will be a major factor to be considered here.

Regards,
      Dhiman

prakash jat
      Participant

can you try Cn^2= 1.33 in refractive index structure?

SAHIL SINGH
      Participant

Hi Dhiman Kakati,

A very important point figured by you about Refractive index.I completely agree that due to this the speed of light will be lesser in water thus all the optisystem component property will not match with it due to this difference…. Thanks for the information..

Regards,
      Sahil Singh

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Fareed Sir..
      This is very good question you have asked.. I am myself interested in free space optics and hopefully if i go for masters i will definitely take this free space optics as my research project.. It is very much trending right now.. And thanks to all of you for making it look very interesting.. I am learning a bit more about this and it will be helpful hopefully.

With regards
      jyoti

varinder singh
      Participant

hello syed
      you are talking about the optical communication in sea water…optical communication through sea water is possible ….but not without optical fibres may be in future…
      with regards

jyoti raina
      Spectator

Hello Fareed sir..
      Here i would like to mention an important point that i have read that free space optical communication is mainly being set up to create communication links in the areas where we do not have any access through wirelessly.. To your question regarding underwater communication ..i recently read about Lifi technology which can be used..however it is not related to optical fiber..i thought sharing it here..

With Regards
      Jyoti

rahul kumar
      Participant
      syed fareed
      Participant

Hello Everyone
      ThanYou all for Your valuable information regarding FSO in underwater
      With Regards
      Syed

syed fareed
      Participant

Hello Everyone
      ThankYou all for Your valuable information regarding FSO in underwater
      With Regards
      Syed

Remo De Suza
      Participant

Hello Fareed.
      You are welcome.
      What area are you particularly working on in FSO?

Thanks & Regards
      Remo

jyoti raina
      Spectator

hi fareed sir..

you are welcome..i am myself interested in FSO..thanks for bringing up such topics..it is very helpful.

With regards
      jyoti raina

Remo De Suza
        Participant

Hello Jyoti.

Good to see people getting more interested towards free space optics. It is really a good choice because FSO is still in its infancy stage. You can do a good research on FSO.

Thanks & Regards
        Remo

jyoti raina
          Spectator

hi remo sir..

thank you for your appreciation..i will definitely go for this topic for my mtech research..thanks again.

Remo De Suza
          Participant

Hello jyoti.
          You are welcome i would love to see you in FSO field. Have you decided yet what to work on i mean the in FSO only?

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi syed,
      I think it is possible to use FSO in underwater communication.
      We have lots of research papers on above topics. Underwater free-space optical communication has
      witnessed a huge in interest from developments in blue-green
      sources and detectors . It is considered point-to-point These take advantage of
      the “blue-green optical window” of relatively low attenuation
      of blue-green wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum
      underwater. Laser-based systems have been demonstrated for
      extended ranges, high data rates and low latencies. LEDbased
      systems have been demonstrated for low-cost, lowpower,
      and compact systems.
      You can refer to the links:
      http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=6214706
      http://www.academia.edu/4364160/Underwater_optical_wireless_communication_network
      http://gradworks.umi.com/35/75/3575838.html
      Hope this will help you.

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

Hi,
      Due to huge interest to industry, and scientic, military, communities Underwater FSO are getting more attention day by day.
      Underwater free-space optical communications is a most promising alternative for short range.
      Lots of developments in this Underwater FSO communication are as Smart Transmitter and Receivers.
      The underwater sensor nodes can use optical communication to wirelessly will be developed in near future.
      ooad their data to an interrogating underwater vehicle equipped with an optical modem.
      Underwater vehicles, sensors, and observatories require a communications interface with data
      rates in the few to tens of Mbps. While ber optic or copper cabling can be used for suciently
      large or stationary devices, a wireless link is desirable in many situations. Radio frequencies are
      heavily attenuated in seawater. Acoustic communication is the existing prevalent method but
      suers from low data rates, high latencies, and multipath issues.
      The following links for more information as:
      1. C. Pontbriand, N. Farr, J. Ware, J. Preisig, and H. Popenoe. Diuse high-bandwidth optical
      communications. In OCEANS 2008, pages 1{4. IEEE, 2008.
      2. Brandon Cochenour, Linda Mullen, and Alan Laux. Phase Coherent Digital Communications
      for Wireless Optical Links in Turbid Underwater Environments. In Oceans 2007, pages 1{5.
      IEEE, 2007.
      3. M. Doniec, I. Vasilescu, M. Chitre, C. Detweiler, M. Homann-Kuhnt, and D. Rus. AquaOptical:
      A lightweight device for high-rate long-range underwater point-to-point communication.
      In OCEANS 2009, MTS/IEEE Biloxi – Marine Technology for Our Future: Global and
      Local Challenges, pages 1{6, 2009.
      4. Frank Hanson and Stojan Radic. High bandwidth underwater optical communication.
      Applied Optics, 47(2):277, January 2008.
      5. William C. Cox. A 1 Mbps Underwater Communication System Using a 405 nm Laser
      Diode and Photomultiplier Tube. M.s. thesis, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC,
      6. Jim A. Simpson. A 1 Mbps Underwater Communications System using LEDs and Pho-
      todiodes with Signal Processing Capability. M.s. thesis, North Carolina State University,
      Raleigh, NC, 2007.
      7. T. Wiener and S. Karp. The role of blue/green laser systems in strategic submarine
      communications. Communications, IEEE Transactions on, 28(9):1602{1607, September

Hope you will get your attention on these links.

deepak jha
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

Thanks for the information… Really appreciate your efforts… Will try to look into the links provided by you… Infact I think it is a very emerging topic and a lot of research is already in progress on this topic
      All the best..

Regards

nagesh kuknoor
      Participant

Hi All,

I agree to most of you that it is an emerging field of research. A lot is being done in this field now.

Thank you

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

You are most welcome Deepak Jha,
      I will keep trying posting valuable information as far as I could.
      Thank you too for starting such important and latest topic on forum.

Regards,
      Rajguru

deepak jha
      Participant

Hi Rajguru,

Thanks once again..

Regards

Manoj Kumar
      Participant

Hi all,

It is no doubt a very useful and meaningful discussion… Thanks to Rajguru for providing such valuable information…

Regards

Rajguru M. Mohan
      Participant

You are most welcome Manoj kumar and Deepak.
      I will try to share more valuable information on free-space-optical-communication.
      It is really a important and latest topics in optical-communication.

nagesh kuknoor
        Participant

Thank you all for the good discussion. It was really informative.

Regards

Remo De Suza
      Participant

Hi Nagesh,
      I agree with you. It indeed was.

Regards
      Remo

umer ashraf wani
      Participant

@RM Mohan can u mention some software’s which can be used for analysing under water FSO

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.