Home Forums SYSTEM Four-wave mixing simulation in O-band

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      A B

Hi,

I am trying to simulate degenerate four-wave mixing (2f2-f1 and 2f1-f2) in O-band. In my simulation I have two lasers (f1 and f2) multiplexed and transmitted over fiber. I also have two extra dummy lasers at -100dBm so that Optisystem will simulate the spectrum where the FWM products are expected to be.

For the fiber I am using the “Optical Fiber CWDM” component, since this is the one I will employ in my full system simulations. I have chosen the following settings to replicate SMF-28 fiber: Ref. wavelength=1312nm, Attenuation=0.4dB/km, Dispersion=0ps/nm/km, Dispersion slope=0.092ps/nm^2/km, DGD=0ps/km, SPM and XPM both enabled, Effective Area=67um^2, n2 = 27e-21m^2/W. All other fiber settings are the default ones.

In the simulation I perform a sweep of the wavelength spacing (lambda1-lambda2) from 0 to 25nm and for each iteration I am looking at the optical spectrum at the output of the fiber using an OSA. However, the spectrum does not seem correct for three reasons. First, increasing the frequency spacing does not affect the amplitude of the 2f1-f2 FWM product (fixed at -22 dBm). Second, there seem to be some aliasing that is producing some FWM products that do not land on frequencies multiples of delta_f from the signal frequencies (see iterations 3,6, and 9). Third, the 2f2-f1 product amplitude decreases with larger spacing (iterations 1 to 3), then increases (iterations 4 to 8), and then decreases again (iterations 9 to 10).

I have attached a zip file containing a screenshot of the testbench and the OSA from the 10 iterations from 0.5 to 5 THz spacing in 0.5 THz steps. Can you please tell me if there is a setting that I need to change to correct the simulation?

Thank you

Ahmad Atieh

Hello,
      I agree with you about the dependence of the amplitude of generated tones using FWM on the wavelength separation.
      Could you please email me your OptiSystem project as zip file to check it? I need to check the setting of all other parameters in the layout.
      you may email the zip file to ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com.
      Also, please let me know the version of OptiSystem that you use?
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Ahmad Atieh

Hello,
      I agree with you about the dependence of the amplitude of generated tones using FWM on the wavelength separation.
      Could you please email me your OptiSystem project as zip file to check it? I need to check the setting of all other parameters in the layout.
      you may email the zip file to ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com.
      Also, please let me know the version of OptiSystem that you use?
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Thank you for your reply. Please find attached the zip file of the OptiSystem project. This file builds on the Optisystem sample project “FWM” under “Fiber Analysis and Design/Optical Fiber Nonlinearity/FWM”.

Thank you for your reply. Please find attached the zip file of the OptiSystem project. This file builds on the Optisystem sample project “FWM” under “Fiber Analysis and Design/Optical Fiber Nonlinearity/FWM”.

I forgot to mention, in the current setup, the sweep in the testbench goes from 0 to 38nm spacing. The OptiSystem version is 19.0.0.2409.

Thank you

I forgot to mention, in the current setup, the sweep in the testbench goes from 0 to 38nm spacing. The OptiSystem version is 19.0.0.2409.

Thank you

Ahmad Atieh

Hello,
      The issue is the MUX channels’ set values are not swept with sweeping the frequency of the lasers.
      You may communicate with me using my email ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com if you’d like to discuss further.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Ahmad Atieh

Hello,
      The issue is the MUX channels’ set values are not swept with sweeping the frequency of the lasers.
      You may communicate with me using my email ahmad.atieh@optiwave.com if you’d like to discuss further.
      Regards,
      Ahmad

Hello,

The MUX channels are indeed swept with the frequency of the lasers, as seen in the attached image.

Hello,

The MUX channels are indeed swept with the frequency of the lasers, as seen in the attached image.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.