Home Forums GENERAL Forward Error Correction (FEC)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..

Could any one of you tell me if the BER and the Quality Factor results we check using the Analyser are those after the system itself employs FEC on the system?

Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi naazira,
      in my thinking the BER and quality factor results in the optisystem are gennerally forward error correction by default itself.because after simulation there it shows BER after FEC in the window where we check the simulation results.

with regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

yes, Aasif. I too think that the system itself employs FEC and provides us the result.
      Thanks for the reply.

Regards.

Aabid Baba
      Participant

Hi naazira,
      I believe it is an inbuilt operation for every system we design. It would be so because Forward Error correction lowers BER and increases the Quality factor and that is the end result we want.
      Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Yes, sure it is so Aabid.
      But in some softwares, we might need to explicitly use the FEC block. But seems like in Optisystem , it is taken care of already.

Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

you are welcome naaazira

alistu
      Participant

Hi all,

A really interesting question has been raised in my opinion. I looked for the answer but did not find any. Does any of you have any reason so as to why you think the forward error correction is already adopted? It is written in a tutorial or has anyone from OptiSystem made a mention of FEC? Thank you.

Regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

Hi alistu,
        I could not find it anywhere on the forum or the optisystem tutorial itself but forward error correction is an important aspect of every design tool so i presume it should be already there. We can further inquire about it.

Thanks and regards

alistu
          Participant

Thank you for your response Aabid. I assume we definitely should. I just wanted to know if this had formerly been discussed in the forums, since I couldn’t find any. I found a page with a layout where Matlab was used, so I couldn’t tell whether Matlab has to do FEC or it was in-built.

Regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Hi Alistu,
          I too could not find any substantial stuff about Forward Error correction in any of optisystem tutorials. So i think we should ask about it because it a valid discussion.
          And please Alistu can you post the link where you found about FEC used in MATLAB.
          With Regards

alistu
          Participant

Unfortunately I was mistaken. I believe the explanation given by Aasif can demonstrate how from the forward error correction being mentioned in the project browser for BER analyzer it can be inferred that forward error correction is used by OptiSystem. Even so, a more comprehensive explanation from Optiwave can really be helpful.

Regards

Aabid Baba
          Participant

Indeed it is. For now we shall presume it is already being used by optisystem. let us wait for further explanation by optisystem itself in this regard.
          Thanks and regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu,
      this is important discussion(as FEC has strong impact on BER)
      after simulation of any my design when we click in BER analyzer its shows some quality factor or BER.

then if we go for report of the simulation there we see the BER after FEC at user definer instant .

the two are same.

therefore i thought the optisystem itself adopts the FEC.

please reply for further discussion.
      with regards

alistu
        Participant

Thank you very much Aasif for your answer. I know about the importance of forward error correction and the effect on the system performance. However, I wanted to know how it can be inferred that OptiSystem is currently using such a capability or not. tThis was a helpful point indeed.

Regards

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,
      after simulation purpose if we go for report of the simulation there we see the BER after FEC at user definer instant, click on that it will popup window.

for convence i am attaching a pic that shows that optisystem is using FEC

Attachments:
        Aabid Baba
        Participant

Good job asif.
        Very very helpful indeed.

alistu
        Participant

Thank you Aasif for the attachment. In the attached screen shot, the BER after the FEC is considered has been shown, which is the same as the available BER shown in the BER analyzer. i am wondering if BER before FEC is taken into consideration is also available in the results of the BER analyzer.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi all,
      i hope all the confusions and ambiquity will end now with the above image reading the use of FEC(inherently) in optisystem will end now.

you can see that bER analyxzer and BERafter FEC have same value.

hope every thing is clear now.

with regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

Hi all..
      Thanks for the replies.

Yes Aasif, you are right.I have noticed that too. That’s exactly how we can infer that Optisystem itself employs the FEC. You have posted a valuable link to affirm this. Good job. (y)

OptiSupport could still be consulted that anyway.

Regards.

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

you are welcome naazira

aasif bashir dar
      Participant

hi alistu,
      i appreciate all there valuable suggestions

i could not find any option in optisystem which gives the BER before the introduction of fore=ward error correction(FEC). if how so ever any body have any idea of geting BER before FEC, please let s discuss it here.

with regards

Aabid Baba
        Participant

You are welcome asif.
        It can be an important parameter to consider in research work. One can easily compare the results of a system before and after forward error correction. You have made a very important point here.
        Anyways thank you.
        Regards

Naazira Badar
      Participant

you are right Aasif, because BER without FEC is an important consideration.

Regards.

Ranjeet Kumar
      Participant

Hi,
      I also think that FEC is already utilized in design while using ber analuser by default. I agree with Aasif sir points about above points.

Aabid Baba
        Participant

yes ranjee that’s what we have oobserved.
        anyway thanks
        regards

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.