Home Forums SYSTEM filter and equalizer

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Gaurav Rajarya
      Participant

can anyone please tell me the difference between filter and equalizer?

Ravil
      Participant

Hi Gaurav,

I am not sure about the depth of your question. To answer your question in general (in my view), the main difference between a filter and an equalizer is that the first one performs only the function of attenuation, i.e. low-pass, high-pass, band-pass. However, the second one can also amplify the signal or set it to a certain level. In other words, an equalizer includes the features of a filter in it and has more advanced functionality.

Ashu verma
      Participant

Hello Gaurav,
      I am agree with the explanation given by ravil and want to add that equaulizer performs modest cuts or amplify the amplitude of signal across the range of frequencies to improve the response.Equalizer consist of filter stages. Simple EQ is provided with just a cut/boost control for each frequency band. More complex designs go on to offer adjustable turnover frequencies and possibly some adjustment of Q or bandwidth as well. The most flexible form of EQ is parametric EQ, which provides frequency, bandwidth and cut/boost controls.
      Filters are generally described as cut-only devices that are intended to remove some portion of the frequency spectrum.

Regards

Ravil
        Participant

Hi Sam Sung,
        Thank you for your valuable addition to my answer and your elaboration of it. You brought very important points!

Ashu verma
      Participant

Thank you RAvil.You are really helpful to all optisystem forum members.Keep it up

Ajay Vyas
      Participant

Hi
      There are many different between the filter & equalizer. The filter does not require any reference point .It can use any where like transmitter & receiver & within the channel but equilizer require the reference signal to equalize the input signal generally we are used equalized at receiving side.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.