Home Forums SYSTEM Fiber bundles – High bandwidth communications

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Is it possible to design an array of 200 * 200 VCSELs and transmit them through a fiber bundle and into another detector arrays?
      Thanks

Luis

Damian Marek
      Participant

Hi Luis,

Are these fiber bundles just a bunch of optical fibers or do they start from one input and splice out to multiple outputs? I’m not too familiar with this area!

Regards

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Hello Damian

The fiber bundles are a bunch of optical fibers.

Example : http://spie.org/x32419.xml

Regards

Luis

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi again,

I think this application is a bit too “macro” for OptiBPM or OptiFDTD, since there are a large number of waveguides and sources. If there is not significant coupling or crosstalk between each individual fiber you could determine the efficiency of injecting the fields.

We don’t have models in our system software for bundles of fiber, but if each fiber performs similarly you could simulate one of them and extrapolate. What type of results are you looking for?

Regards

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Hello Damian

I do not need to simulate it now, I will do in the non-distance future. I need a fiber bundle because in real life the transmitted light is transmitted to other fibers (crosstalk) . So, it is important to control the VCSEL or laser diode optical power and beam shape .

However , prob your solution could work

Regards

Luis

Damian Marek
        Participant

You could definitely do parts of this design in our software. For example, given the distance, angle and mode shape of the VCSEL from the targeted fiber waveguide, you could simulate the fraction of power entering the target waveguide and also adjacent waveguides.

Using the fraction of power entering adjacent cores you could simulate it as a noise source and run a BER simulation in OptiSystem.

Regards

Luis Acevedo
      Participant

Oh, thanks Damian
      I will try it latter on. it looks very promising.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.