Home Forums FDTD FDTD Band Solver Parameter

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Saurav Chanda
      Participant

Hey everyone I need a bit of assistance. I’m not able to figure out the 2D FDTD Band Solver Parameter under the simulation option of the software. I’m in very need of that, even though it has been mentioned in the user manual of the documentation file.

Damian Marek
      Participant

Have you looked at the tutorial yet?

FDTD Band Solver Introduction

You managed to create the crystal structure I imagine but you are not sure how to use the band solver? Is there a specific problem you are experiencing?

Regards

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

Yes I am able to use the PWE Band solver but as I am using non-linear rods so I think I should use FDTD band solver to get hold of the band diagram. I have Version 8,10,12 with me but I am not able to figure out that option under the simulation tab. Even I have installed the software package from Optiwave too but even its missing over there also.

Damian Marek
      Participant

Ah, the 2D FDTD band solver was removed from the software, because it did not provide any extra functionality. If you think that the PWE band solver will not accurately find the bandgaps of your nonlinear crystal then I would suggest performing a straight FDTD transmission simulation.

And of course there is a tutorial for the procedure:

Plane Wave Simulation Based on the Periodic Cell of PhC

Sorry for the misinformation, the documentation will be updated.

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

Well I have got one new software package having the version 8 where the FDTD band solver parameter is active but I encountered one problem that is it takes only one vale of ‘K’ i.e wave vector. Can you please provide me the Opti FDTD version 12. I have got one but its a trial version for 30days. And thanks for providing me the information alongwith the references.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Hi Saurav,

Currently we are allowing free downloads of our 32 bit version of OptiFDTD:

Free FDTD Download

If you would like the 64 bit version then you will have to purchase a licensed version. To get a quote please email info@optiwave.com.

Regards

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

This is the snap I’m attaching.

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

Yes I have got the 32 bit version. I have one more query, how to set the kerr non-linearity directly if the value is n2=1.5×10^(-5)? I have got the non-linearity option under profiles and materials but I didn’t get the option where I can set the value directly.

Damian Marek
        Participant

Under the FDTD-Nonlinear folder right click and create a new Material. From there you can choose whether it is a 2nd, 3rd, Kerr … type material. Since you only have the nonlinear index that means to me that you would be making a 3rd order material. You then just need to convert the index to a susceptibility. You can find the calculation on the web.

Regards

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

Okay, but the plane wave simulation is not clear to me.

Damian Marek
        Participant

What is the issue with the plane wave simulation?

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

I will be using kerr non-linearity.

Saurav Chanda
      Participant

FDTD transmission simulation is not clear to me.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.